7 Certified B Corporations that Will Make You Feel Good by Doing Good

Treat Yoself (by not only treating yoself)!

431
The Huffington Post

If you clicked on this article, you probably did so because you thought, "What the hecking heck is a B Corporation?" Or you thought, "God, this girl and her articles again" (my bet is on the latter, but I'm going to assume it's the other one).

To become a labeled "B Corporation", a business must show its commitment to benefiting society with just as much rigor as benefiting consumers. A company must follow certain guidelines and go through a two-year process of back work, much like how obtaining other labels like USDA Organic or Certified Humane are. The statement on B Corp's website actually puts it best:

"B Corp is to business what Fair Trade certification is to coffee or USDA Organic certification is to milk. B Corps are for-profit companies certified by the nonprofit B Lab to meet rigorous standards of social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency."

Currently, there are approximately 1,600 Certified B Corporations within 42 countries and over 120 industries–and the number is rapidly expanding.

A relatively new B Corp, B Magazine–a quarterly subscription-based issue–writes editorials and stories over these groundbreaking businesses, and a good handful of kickass ones are below (aren't you glad I didn't do all 1,600?):

Threads 4 Thought

So...fashion and the textile industry has become the third most POLLUTING industry on the planet. Threads 4 Thought saw that and decided to focus on producing eco-friendly products: organic cotton, recycled polyester, and lenzing modal (which comes from the pulp of a beech tree that doesn't require it to be cut down). They started with T shirts and expanded to tops, bottoms, outerwear, and workout clothes for both genders.

Check 'em out:

http://www.threadsforthought.com/

Patagonia

Hell yeah! Patagonia kicks MAJOR butt in being ethical, whether it's by their sustainable resources, employee treatment, technology use, or their latest "Worn Wear" campaign, with emphasis on repairing clothing items instead of buying new ones and recycling them properly when repair is no longer an option.

Look for yourself:

http://www.patagonia.com/home/

MADI Apparel

This underwear line based in Kansas City creates products from chemical-free, unbleached cotton and self-wicking bamboo. They pride themselves on creating less waste and longer-lasting wear by being made in the USA and using sustainable resources. And if that wasn't freaking enough, for every pair of underwear they sell, MADI donates a pair of equal quality to a woman in need–pretty cool considering underwear is actually the most under-donated clothing item.

Get some:

ghttp://www.madiapparel.com/

Naja

First off, Naja spreads their "Eco-Consciousness" by using fabric made from recycled plastic and reduce water waste by digitally printing their cool designs instead of dyeing (the fashion/apparel industry is in charge of 20% of industrial water pollution, btw). Second, Naja's employees are single mothers and female heads of households in Columbia, who are paid "above market wages, provide[d] health benefits and child education stipends" including school supplies and meals, as well as flexible schedules to those with families. Pretty dope if you ask me.

Browse their swimwear, workout clothes, and intimates (there's underwear with cats on them, literally what else could you want):

http://www.naja.co/collections/womens-activewear-w...

CORA tampons

According to B Magazine, the average woman "menstruates for 38 years, creating between 250 and 300 pounds of waste in tampons, pads, and applicators". This is due to the fact that period stuff does not biodegrade very quickly (try hundreds of years), and they also hold harmful chemicals that are as dangerous to your body as they are to the environment. One way to help combat this is by using a menstrual cup, but if you ain't down for that, organic products are the way to go. What makes CORA cool is that it's subscription based; just take their simple quiz on their website over how much/what absorbency you use each month, and they bring their products straight to your door for an affordable monthly, trimonthly, or yearly rate.

Get on it:

https://cora.life/pages/get-cora

This is L. Organic Tampons

Made from organic cotton and free from rayon, chlorine, or fragrances, AND a BPA-free applicator (note that all this icky stuff is in your average drugstore tamps), this company knows their stuff. Not only do they create ethically-made pads and tampons, but they sell chemical-free condoms as well. This is L. works with charities to prevent and treat STDs in third world countries, and for every box you buy, they donate tampons to female entrepreneurs in those developing countries. All that and only $4.95 for a box of ten.

Their website is even prettier than their packaging:

https://thisisl.com/

Lunapads

I'm almost done with the period stuff, guys, but it's FREAKING IMPORTANT. This company actually creates reusable menstrual products. Ya heard me. Sounds gross, I know, but hold on. According to B Magazine, each soft, cotton flannel pad contains an absorbent cotton fleece insert–just replace and machine-wash as needed. Requires a slight change in routine, sure, but your plastic waste level goes way down (and you'll feel like a luxurious queen). Lunapads also teams with DivaCup and sells kits that combine the two products. And–you guessed it–they also donate to those in need; their One4Her program focuses on bringing reusable pads to girls in Africa (who often are forced to miss a week of school each month because of little access to period products). Oh, and they also sell gender-inclusive underwear. So bomb.

GET SOME:

http://lunapads.com/

To learn more about the B Corp movement:

https://www.bcorporation.net/what-are-b-corps

To read more from B Magazine:

http://www.bthechange.com/

(and FYI, none of this is sponsored. I wish I was that cool).