7 Books You Need To Read By The End Of Summer

No. 3 will require tissues and No. 5 will change your life.

11
Guest of a Guest

Books are great; they can transport you to another place. I love reading, but I also love my summer to relax and be carefree. Part of relaxing can be reading, especially on the long trips to vacations. On lazy days by the pool, opening a book and transporting yourself can be quite liberating.

1. If you need a quick read:

"We Should All Be Feminists" by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Don't let the title intimidate you! This is an essay, so it is only about 50 pages and it is still pure genius! Adichie is a Nigerian native, and this essay reveals the struggles women have in Nigeria as well as, as the title suggests, why we should all be feminists. It really transformed my opinions and world views for the better.

2. If you love summer love:

"The Moon and More" by Sarah Dessen

This novel is set in a small beach town. The protagonist is a young girl who finds a young guy, and they explore life together throughout the summer. It is beautifully written as all of Dessen's books are, and it redefines many social norms. It is a full novel, but it would be great to read by the ocean!

3. If you are nostalgic for high school:

"Looking For Alaska" by John Green

All right, so if you know me, you know that I will not rest until everyone I know has read this book! It is full of emotions from every end of the spectrum as Green chronicles the lives of high school kids while they navigate through many aspects of life. Also, this is the same guy who filled our hearts and then ripped them out with "The Fault In Our Stars" and "Paper Towns." So, pack the tissues in your carry on!

4. If you want something to think about:

"The Five People You Meet In Heaven" by Mitch Albom

This book is pretty short and easy to read, however, its message is huge. Albom explores the life of one man as he dies and he meets five people that reconstruct his view of what his life was really like. It will make you more appreciative of how great life is and who doesn't want to feel like life is great?

5. If you need a fresh start:

"The Happiness Project" by Gretchen Rubin

I bought this book when I was in an airport at the beginning of the summer, and I have to say that it has truly changed my life. It is extremely easy to read and even has points for you at each chapter. It is fairly individualized if you take it seriously. It offers great advice like "act the way you want to feel," and it is very relatable. Rubin describes how she went through her own happiness project and that keeps the reader going.

6. If you want to laugh:

"Yes Please" by Amy Poehler

This has been out for awhile, but anything done by Poehler is bound to be timeless. She is funny and transparent. It is something we can relate to, and she lets us into her life in a way that can only be done in a book. Just think how amazing reading this and sipping an island drink would be!

7. If you're looking for a sequel:

"Where She Went" by Gayle Forman

If you liked (or loved) "If I Stay," then you will like this as well! The story picks up at the end of "If I Stay" and is told in Adam's perspective. It is well written and offers up some surprises for the reader. I am pretty sure I finished this in a weekend because I could not put it down!

I hope you expand your horizons this summer, both geographically and intellectually! Happy reading!