The 7 Best Things About Being Home

The 7 Best Things About Being Home

And why college students appreciate them.
109

Coming home for the holidays is such a great feeling. After a stressful semester and then a long finals week, there really is nothing better. If you're like me, there are some things that you really do miss while being away at school. Here are 7 of the best things about being home for the holiday season.

1. Home cooked meals

Let's be honest-- dining food isn't always terrible, and you're own cooking isn't completely awful, but there is just something great about having a home cooked meal. Especially when that home cooked meal is cooked by mom and you don't have to do anything to prepare for it.

2. A stocked fridge

Another perk to being home is not having to buy your own food. Instead of having the few things you can afford in your tiny dorm refrigerator, you have a huge amount of food options right at your fingertips every time you walk into the kitchen.

3. A comfy bed

Dorm beds aren't too terrible, at least if you have a mattress pad. It is nice, however, to be back in your large, cozy bed where you can cuddle up under all of your blankets right at home.

4. Not sharing a room

For some, even at home this may not be a luxury. However, if you do have your own room at home, not sleeping 6 feet away from someone every night is comforting. And it provides you with time to recover from any of the illnesses you may be sharing with your roommate as your breathe the same air every single night.

5. Better Wi-Fi

The wi-fi at school is generally awful. With so many students connecting so many various devices at the same time, you feel lucky to get Snapchat stories to load quickly. However, at home, you don't have as many people to share the wi-fi with. This means faster download time and more Netflix for you!

6. Seeing all of your friends

This is one of my favorite parts about coming home. Instead of being states away and having to communicate through group messaging, Snapchat, and FaceTime, you are in the same area as all of your friends again. It's great to be able to go out late one night and spend hours at somebody's house just catching up on all that has been going on in your crazy college lives.

7. Spending time with family

Most importantly, being home means spending time with family. The people who helped get you to where you are today should not be forgotten about when you return home for a short holiday break. Being able to attend younger sibling's concerts and sporting events is one of the best parts of being home, and having time to watch TV with dad and bake cookies with mom is always a plus too. While there are many perks to coming home for the holidays, this one will always be the most important to me.