Let's Get Ethical

Let's Get Ethical: My Five Favorite Earth & People Friendly Places To Shop

Handmade is IN!

9

Who else is ready to get ethical? Since being a missionary and living in many different places while working with different organizations, I have found myself obsessing with researching where my purchased products are actually coming from. I have worked with young women and men all over the world and stocking up my backpack with their creations and I truly don't think I can go back from the "handmade" world. I started following every business on Instagram that was all about ethically-made products or fashion, zero-waste, vegan/plant based, and information about protecting our earth (which we do a terrible job at). Here are five of the most recent places I have been ordering from that helped me start my ethical journey!

Photos Provided By @Hiptipico

Hiptipico

"Hiptipico is an ethical fashion brand based in Panajachel, Guatemala showcasing Maya artisans and their handmade creations. Every Hiptipico item is thoughtfully handcrafted by indigenous communities, using high-quality sustainable materials.

We are dedicated to connecting the world directly with Maya artisans through ethical travel, textile sourcing and honest production. Here at Hiptipico, we showcase our own line of artisanal designs for both retail and wholesale, shipping worldwide. We also offer private label production, textile sourcing and ethical travel opportunities for bloggers, fashion students, boutiques and other brands.

The name Hiptipico came from the Spanish word, "tipico," which is the traditional clothing worn by the indigenous Maya people in Guatemala. Incorporating the local word "tipico" into our name and using it as the basis of our brand reflects our dedication to preserving indigenous culture and creating dignified job opportunities through the promotion of this traditional art form." (About Us Page, http://bit.ly/hiptipicoaboutus)

I recently bought a camera strap from this company and plan on dropping the rest of my cash on a new bag. The founder, Alyssa Kim Yamamoto (@alyssaya), is not only the cutest and crazy inspirational, but she shares her heart and creates content on social media with purpose daily. I have enjoyed watching her journey and getting the behind-the-scenes look of their building in Guatemala. I love that she is located right where the action happens. I have grown a love and trust in this company because they let me in on their story. If you are on the hunt for homemade camera straps, backpacks, etc. I highly recommend this company!

Website: https://www.hiptipico.com/

Instagram: @Hiptipico

Photos Provided By @Destiny_Rescue

Destiny Rescue

"Destiny Rescue is an internationally recognized Christian non-profit organization dedicated to rescuing children enslaved in the sex trade. We work on virtually every continent with hundreds of employees and volunteers dedicated to our mission. Simply put, we exist to see child sexual slavery end in our lifetime. As long as sex-trafficking and child sexual exploitation exist in our world, we will continue to fight and be advocates on behalf of the enslaved and vulnerable.

Through the years, we have literally saved over a thousand children from brothels, red light districts and abusive situations. But rescue is just the beginning of the story for the children in our care.

The restoration process is the beginning of a new life for the young women we serve as they are given hope for bright, new futures. An integral part of our work is providing education, training and vocational opportunities so reintegration is successful. One of those opportunities exists in designing and making beautiful jewelry, accessories and other handcrafted items.

Your purchase helps fund the vital work of Destiny Rescue - both in providing safe, sustainable employment for the girls we rescue and by helping us continue our efforts to be a voice for the voiceless. For more information about Destiny Rescue, and to learn about other ways to support us in the fight to end child sex trafficking, please visit our website." (About Us Page, http://bit.ly/DestinyRescueShopAbout)

I worked with this organization in their Thailand and Cambodia locations and I have never fallen in love with organization as much as I did with Destiny Rescue. Not only did we get one-on-one time with the girls, we got to see the Red Light Districts ourselves, meet their rescuers, hear about their ethical rescuing techniques, how they rehabilitate the young women through schooling, counseling, and job provision, and how they support them and their families so it would not happen again. Some of their girls make jewelry as their job of choice. I bought a good amount in Thailand and so should you!

Website: https://www.destinyrescue.org/us/

Instagram: @destiny_rescue

Photos Provided By @Joynbags

Joyn Bags

Here is information about their non-profit:

"JoyCorps, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, partners with entrepreneurs in the developing world to build strong businesses and healthy, thriving communities. 80% of JoyCorps' funding and program support goes directly to JOYN's Maker Cooperatives in India and Thailand.

JoyCorps supports development programs that move the community toward long-term sustainability by promoting wholeness in six categories: occupational, physical, intellectual, emotional, spiritual, and social. We subsidize these programs until the local cooperatives are profitable enough to shoulder the costs on their own. We also identify and train local leaders and facilitate partnerships with local resources to help us carry out programs while growing their businesses. The goal is not to give a temporary handout, but to move the community toward real transformation and the local businesses toward long-term sustainability." (About Us Page, http://bit.ly/JoynHowItsMade)

I met this one girl at a luncheon/small gathering about two years ago. She had a Joyn bag and I was IN LOVE. I wanted to order it, but at the moment, it did not fit into my college student budget. I couldn't stop thinking about it since. I recently ordered that bag, a matching wallet, a lunch bag, and a keychain for my house/car keys. I went with a vegan leather option and my money was WELL SPENT. I am excited for my new goodies to arrive. The team reached out to me and asked about my story as a missionary and I am so thankful to have purchased from this company who takes care of its workers and consumers.

Website: https://www.joynbags.com/

Instagram: @joynbags

Photos Provided By @uncommonjameshome

Uncommon James Home

"Founded and creatively directed by television personality and fashion entrepreneur Kristin Cavallari, Uncommon James Home is a collection of modern home goods inspired by Kristin's love of design and the comfort of home. Crafted to bring effortless style and warmth to any space, the brand features a wide selection of decor, handcrafted candles, kitchenware, tabletop and bar accessories and office products." (About Us Page, https://uncommonjameshome.com/)

I did research on what they meant by "handmade" and found this information:

"All items in the UJ Home collection are feel-good purchases, because they're ethically handmade in India. Uncommon James partnered with Tribe Alive, a company that promotes female artisans by ensuring fair pay and safe work environments, to bring the designs to life. The collection consists mainly of kitchen accessories with trendy copper accents and prices are mid-range." (Informational Website http://bit.ly/HomeLineResearch)

First of all, I am a huge Kristin Cavallari fan since the beginning. I started watching her new show, "Very Cavallari" and learned more about her business and ethics. Its my DREAM to own a business such as this where I work alongside an ethically driven company to ensure quality products. I look up to her for not just adding home to her jewelry business, but making sure it's produced appropriately. My friend works at her store in Nashville, TN and I am saving up my money to make a big purchase when I visit next!

Website: https://uncommonjameshome.com/

Instagram: @uncommonjameshome

Photos Provided By @thisbar

This Bar Saves Lives

Here is the description of what buying their product looks like when it comes to saving lives:

First, you purchase a snack (the bars) and it provides the "Life Saving Food Pack" which is a powerful peanut paste that is full of nutrients and vitamins made to treat malnutrition. The treatment takes three packs a day for eight day to take a child from severely malnourished to completely healthy. That helps the child and encourages them to change the world. (The breakdown of this is on a graphic on their website).

*Their Palm Oil is also ethically sourced. They are RSPO Certified, which means Roundtable Sustainable Palm Oil. You can learn more here!

"Our snack bars are Non-GMO Project Verified, gluten free, kosher, and ridiculously delicious. Our kids bars are made without nuts, free of the top 8 allergens, and they have fruits and veggies that your kids won't even taste! Our collagen bites have a variety of ingredients with different nutritional benefits, visit our collagen bites page to learn more!" (Information Regarding Product http://bit.ly/ThisSavesLivesAbout)

I love snacking. I love when snacking doesn't break the bank or my belt. I love snacking even more when it's for a cause and properly produced. It's a three-in-one blessing! I love what this company stands for and how each part of their business and product is carefully created. I cannot wait to dig into my favorite bars when I go home!

Website: https://thissaveslives.com/

Instagram: @thisbar