Serving Up Success with Spider-Man Far From Home?

After the high emotions of "Endgame," how well does "Far From Home" hold up in the grand scheme of the MCU?

6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt9L1jCKGnE

For a while, this year especially, it felt like Marvel and its Cinematic Universe ruled the world. After all, the main MCU story that spanned over years and years finally came to a close with "Avengers: Endgame" in the spring. The theaters were flooded with excited Marvel fans of all ages as they watched the three hour film that showcased all of their favorite heroes in action. "Endgame" went on to break movie records, even coming back to theaters with a rerelease full of extra scenes, directors' commentary, and sneak peaks. For many Marvel fans, the Marvel franchise has been a friend, a constant, and a hell of a wonderful movie experience. With Endgame wrapping up such a large and developing plot line, it felt hard to see where Marvel was going to go from here and how those choices would change the way we viewed characters that we loved so dearly.

Thus, we get to the newest "Spider-Man" movie: "Far From Home." For those that have seen and loved "Homecoming," this film has been highly anticipated sequel to an already awesome version of "Spider-Man." For others, this movie was even more than that. This "Spider-Man" movie was the first to hit the theaters after "Endgame" which means it was our firsts look into the world of the MCU after everything that happened with time travel. It was our first complete look into the lives of our characters after all the action, emotion, and heart-break. In a way, it was the first chapter in a new MCU storyline and fans flocked to the theaters in eager anticipation. How would "Spider-Man: Far From Home" kick off this brand new segment of Marvel films?

To put it in short terms, I thought that this film was a lot of fun and a great start for the new Marvel Cinematic Universe films. To start off, I think that, once again, this film does a fantastic job when it comes to the acting and casting of its characters. The performance of Tom Holland as Spider-Man was absolutely phenomenal and he showcases once again why he is absolutely perfect for the role of Peter Parker. Not only does he exemplify the character in look, his kind heart and dorky demeanor fully encompass the core of the character which makes for a wonderful film and a wonderful Peter Parker. Outside of Holland's performance, the other characters and the actors that portray them do an absolutely splendid job. You never once feel like these are actors paid to say these lines; you only feel the essence and personality of the characters themselves. For that, I definitely tip my hat to the actors and actresses found within this film.

On top of the great performances, the action in this film is absolutely well put together and planned out. I always marvel (pun intended) at the way films like this one map out the choreography when the subject themselves are not based in the realm of reality. It is so impressive to see how animators and film crews can showcase superpowers and super fights with their movie magic. This film is no exception and the choreography and movement of Spider-Man is absolutely incredible to witness. I could watch just the action and fighting footage and come out of the theater satisfied. However, the increasing levels of humor and jokes coming from the film definitely do not hurt and make the film even more enjoyable to watch.

However, in my opinion, the strongest part of this "Spider-Man" film is how it handles its tone. This film has to take two different films with wildly different tones into consideration. Fans cannot forget the constant stream of humor and more light-hearted approach (though still dripping with emotion) found in the first "Spider-Man" film, but we also cannot ignore the high emotions created as a result of "Endgame." However, in my opinion, this film works to mix both of these films, both of these tones, into a perfect product. We still get the light-hearted humor of the first, but Peter and other characters still have to deal with the emotional trauma created from "Endgame." In my opinion, this film does a great job at making us feel like it is a "Spider-Man" movie while also growing and developing emotions/characters from "Endgame." To me, that is very impressive.

Though overall this movie is very good, I do wish for one thing. I personally wish we got a greater insight into the villain of the film. Now, the villain of this new film IS good and fun to watch/hate, but I wish we had a little bit more balance between hero and villain motivation. For me, this was done well in "Homecoming" as we get a really good look into Vulture's mindset and we understand his past and motivations. We spend some good time with the character and we even see his birth as a villain. I think that this is more glossed over in this film and while it doesn't really HURT the film, it just doesn't make the villain stand out as much. I just wish the film focused more on our villain so we could have that great connection found in "Homecoming."

Overall, I really enjoyed this film and I know that I am looking forward to whatever the MCU decides to throw at us next.