A 1960’s Classic Gives New Perspective For 2016

John Lennon presented the world with a message 50 years ago, and it's still relevant today.

11
WSLS 10 News

“You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one.”

In 1963 John Lennon, former member of the Beatles, debuted the classic song "Imagine." The song was thought of as revolutionary, and to some, outrageous for its idealist thoughts. Now, the song is thought as one of the most famous and one of the most archetypal songs ever created. But while the lyrics are known to many across America and the world, the relevance and importance of their ideas are being lost.

At the time I write this article, we are currently a little over halfway through 2016. In these months we have had to face multiple terrorist attacks, religious warfare, school shootings and numerous amounts of discriminatory hate attacks. It seems as though much of the world has lost track of their priorities and are lost to the power of their own will.

“Imagine there’s no countries. It isn’t hard to do. Nothing to kill or die for, and no religion too.” The lyrics came as a shock to much of the world. In 1963, religion was less of a label and more of a lifestyle. John Lennon received lots of hate from his fan base and the world for the ideas he sang about. The words can leave a deep message, when it’s the strong attachment to religion fueling much of the hate we have now.

“Imagine no possessions. I wonder if you can. No need for greed or hunger, a brotherhood of man.” This is another bold lyric, but one many more can agree on. These lyrics will be applicable to any generation, and maybe even more so now than it was then. It depicts a world where no one has anything but what they need. Where there would be no difference between class or race and all humans would make up the world we see, instead of all the classifications and labels that are dividing us.

Overall, it is very interesting listening to a song written almost 40 years ago, and seeing how it still applies to today. It is interesting to reimagine what John Lennon was thinking when he wrote the lyrics. The song was revolutionary when it came out, and now it’s a classic. However, that does not give us a reason to ignore the message he had for the world. In fact, it’s even more of a lesson to be learned by all of us, to share your voice and what you believe even if it’s what no one wants to hear.

Many people are using hate and violence to share their opinion, but "Imagine" is a needed reminder that a song can make just as much difference without any casualties. "Imagine" is a reminder that no change will be done unless you make it.

“I hope someday you’ll join us, and the world will be as one.”