6 Weird Things That Happen When You Start Watching A Super Popular Show

The strangest thing I've learned from my experiences watching shows everyone else has already seen.

16
https://wall.alphacoders.com/by_sub_category.php?id=209351

For anyone who doesn't know me I'm a firm believer in Netflix, and while there are several shows in my life right now the ones that are currently making the most impact are Dexter and Attack on Titan. Two very popular shows I have neglected to watch until now. But, now that I am watching them I am hooked. Honest to Goddess. What I've learned for watching these two shows who have already had every last drop if hype squeezed out of them is it's really frustrating to get into a show after everyone's already seen it. But hey, it's better than not watching the show at all right? Well maybe, let's first go through some of the things I've learned.

6. You can't tell anyone how amazing this show is... because they already know

This is what I learned after I stayed up until 3 AM watching the first 7 episodes of Attack on Titan. I knew this was a phenomenal anime with a concept I was super crazy about, (but that might just be because I'm a sucker for a good post-apocalypse/Dystopian story). I wanted to tell all my friends how good this show was. How perfect the animation was, and how the quasi-political undertones really made my day. But they had all seen it before.

Even my friend who has never been into anime had seen it, and of course they had. Attack on Titan is one of the most successful animes of all time. I knew that before I started watching the show, but it still made me frustrated when there was no one to tell how amazing and groundbreaking it was.

Then again, this is also a kind of benefit because....

5. You always have someone to talk to when something major happens

The only comforting thing about being late to the punch on amazing show is whenever there's a twist or something soul crushing happens you know there's going to be someone (anyone) there for you, and they are almost always sympathetic. They've been through this pain long before you and have already grieved appropriately and came out of the experience wiser so they could help poor souls like you get through it too when your time came. I don't know how many times I've come to my boyfriend in distress while watching Dexter to be met with loving and understanding arms. Because hell, if you're gonna suffer it's best not to do it alone.

4. You can't get into the fandom because you're too afraid of spoilers

This one is infuriating. Because of course when you fall in love with a new show you want to surround yourself in it, at least for me. I want to buy merch, I go around singing the theme song, and of course I want to dabble a bit in the ever present online fan base that accompanies any somewhat popular show. But when you're dealing with a super popular show, it's almost impossible to avoid spoilers doing this. Especially when the show is already over like Dexter. This is frustrating for me as a major fangirl, because I know there's so much wonder in store. There's fanfiction that needs to be read, and there are parody videos that need to be watched. I know all of these wonderful things are waiting for me, but I live in fear... Fear that my wonderful show will be spoiled by someone too careless to use a spoiler warning, and this saddens me deeply....

3. You want to get caught up so you binge binge binge!

Now I've been in college for almost two years now, and I can safely say I'm not the only one acquainted with the art of extreme bingeing. We've all done it before, whether we're proud of it or not is our own story.... Normally we binge shows that are super good, and that's all there is too it. But when you start watching a popular show you almost feel an obligation to binge. It's a mad rush to get caught up so you can talk about it with your friends. Of course you want to keep watching because it's amazing, but it can take a little bit of the fun out when you start to look at how much you have left to go instead of focusing on where you are right now, so try and savor the awesomeness as much as you can instead of focusing on how far behind you are!

2. You hate yourself for not watching sooner

I know for me when anything is over hyped I usually want nothing to do with it unless something convinces me it's interesting. This is what happened to me with Attack on Titan. Until three days ago I had no idea what the anime was even about. Somehow I got in my head it was about giant robots, and while I have no idea what fever dream I conjured that up in, I only found out the actual premise of the show when I stumbled across it in a WatchMojo.com video (yes I still watch WatchMojo you may shame me appropriately if you wish). Well, it looked pretty damn cool, so I checked it out and my world was changed forever. Now I only wish I had known about this dope anime sooner so I could have already been fangirling that much longer, but such is life I suppose.

1. But you're still happy you decided to watch this awesomeness

Though it may be frustrating getting into an already popular show, that doesn't change the fact it's an amazing show. You love it all the same, and once you finally do get caught up you're super exited to be part of the hype, even it your a low-key hipster like me and bandwagons make you feel gross. (But I enjoy WatchMojo videos, so I can't be too judgey)