6 Ways For Women To Stand Out In The Business World

The essence of women’s existence in today’s business world.

16
Photo by: Brigitte Tohm

How to Succeed as a Young Woman Executive by Kira Karbocus speaks volumes to the essence of women’s existence in today’s business world. I was instantly drawn to this article, so I continued to read more.

I challenged myself to come up with six ways to set myself apart as I strive to become a successful female executive. I am nowhere near the caliber of Kira but I see similar qualities in myself.

Surround yourself with those who lift you higher.

Avoid those who are toxic - we all have those individuals in our networks where negativity thrives in their environment and instantaneously creates negative impacts on us. Find those work friends who have your best interest at heart and those who challenge, yet support you, in your work on a daily basis and in big project settings.

Arrive early!

Beat the boss to work, it makes a difference. Without a doubt I am a morning person. I am aware of this in myself and frame my day around that; scheduling early meetings when I am more alert or planning to accomplish a task right at 8 am. It is as simple as putting it on your calendar first thing in the morning as a mental note to yourself. I know myself well and am reminded that the “3 o’clock feeling” happens, meaning there is a strong chance I won’t be as productive at that time.

Do more

Asking to help is all it takes. You will get noticed when you put yourself out there and offer. It proves to those around you that you have your work load under control so you are ready and willing to assist. If the need for your help is accepted and the ask is great enough, this places you in a significant place to gain responsibilities, proving your value to the company.

Rise to challenges with a gracious heart

Taking challenges as compliments means your superiors feel comfortable enough with your abilities and the potential for you to own and conquer the challenge. Without challenges nothing grows, we quickly become jaded and disinterested. Nothing grows unless we challenge ourselves.

Dress the part

You decide what makes you feel confident and you need to own that responsibility in the professional world. Dress and body language play a huge role in how you are perceived. With that being said, you must feel comfortable and confident at the same time to make a lasting positive impression.

Be the leader

Your title does not justify it - be the leader through your actions and dedication.