6 Affordable Ways To Make Your Dorm Or Apartment Trendy AF

As told by a decor junkie.

24
Lexi Rubin

Shopping for your college dorm or apartment can be difficult when you have to take in to account several factors. While most of us want to be able to show off our trendy dorm or apartment, we are also college students on a budget. When decorating your college living space, it's important to spend your money wisely. This is in fact possible to do while also having the trendiest dorm or apartment on campus.

Here are a few tips when shopping for your new digs:

1. Keep it simple when you can.

No one really cares what your sheets look like, so keep it simple. Bed Bath and Beyond, Target and Kohl's all have a great selection of miraculously soft Jersey Knit sheets. It can be found for a pretty reasonable price with the help of a few coupons.

2. The importance of pillows and throws.

Home Goods might actually be God's gift to man. Or at least to all my fellow decor junkies out there. This hot spot sells a large range of the absolute cutest pillows and throws. Whether you're going for the Bohemian vibe or the all faux fur everything look, Home Goods really is the GOAT. The right pillows can truly make or break any bedspread.

3. The power of posters and prints.

One of the easiest ways to make your living space totally sleek is going the poster/print route. Frame them if you will, but it's definitely not necessary. Whether you need to decorate a cork board or a cinder block wall, a cluster of trendy posters of your favorite bands, celebrities or even shows can be the perfect way to style your room or apartment with a personal touch. Urban Outfitters, Amazon or even a local college mart almost always has a large variety of posters and prints for a reasonable price.

4. When in doubt, think tapestries.

It doesn't matter if you have the decorating touch or not, a tapestry can usually complete the look of a typical college dorm room or apartment. If you don't have a local shop near you that sells these, you can always count on Urban Outfitters for a variety of options. Although Urban's tapestries can be a little pricey, with this option, not much other decor is needed on the wall. Also keep in mind, if you want to go the tapestry route, it's probably best to go with a solid colored bed spread. Too many patterns can be aesthetically unpleasing.

5. Hit up your nearest TJ Maxx or Marshalls.

These two stores along with Home Goods have trendy and affordable decor which can really enhance the vibes of your room or apartment. Little mirrors or Buddha statues can be found for even five dollars. Not only decor, but cute coordinating storage bins can also be found at these places.

6. DIY all the way.

For those of you who don't know (aka those of you who live under a rock), DIY stands for "Do It Yourself," most often referring to a craft of some sort. DIY's can be perfect ways to decorate your living space. Dream catchers, painted canvases, framed prints, are all easy examples of DIY crafts that can spice up your new home. These sort of crafts can be found on Pinterest and the supplies can usually be found at stores like Michaels, Wallmart, Jo-Anne Fabrics, etc.