6 Unique Date Ideas In Rochester, New York

It's time to break your date night routine.

14403
Lily Forgach

We are creatures of habit, but let's face it - doing the same thing every Saturday night or Sunday afternoon can get boring. If you're looking for something new to try with your significant other, or your best friend, check out some of these Rochester activities that you probably haven’t considered (or maybe even heard of) before. I promise it will be more exciting than sitting on the couch or spending another night at the same bar.

1. RockVentures

RockVentures is an indoor climbing gym, equipped with rock walls and high ropes courses. Even if you’ve never tried rock climbing before, you can expect to find (at least some) success and get pretty far off the ground because this facility offers packages that include lessons. It's the perfect place for a date because the type of climbing that is most common at RockVentures is a partner activity since you need someone to act as your anchor. Spend an afternoon trying out this exhilarating activity; it will definitely get your heart racing. Plus, it’s more fun than going to the gym!

2. Dinner at La Casa

La Casa is one of my favorite restaurants in the Rochester area. I’m obsessed. Not only does it offer delicious Mexican dishes, but the decor makes it feel like you’ve left Rochester and crossed the southern border of the United States and ventured into Mexico. The restaurant is located in a very quaint former home that’s been converted into this food-lover’s paradise. In the warmer months, there’s a large outdoor deck on which you and your date can enjoy a margarita and some free chips (but remember to save room for your actual meal).

3. Lamberton Conservatory

Lamberton Conservatory is a hidden gem located within Highland Park. For only a few bucks, you can walk through this spacious greenhouse and view countless exotic plants and flowers. I recently went for the first time and saw so many unique plants that I had never seen before in my life. I felt like I was on a tropical island far away from Rochester. It’s a nice place to escape to for a while. You could even bring a picnic lunch to enjoy in Highland Park after you’re done at the conservatory.

4. Explore the High Falls District

High Falls is an area that is often neglected because it’s somewhat off the beaten path, but it’s well worth taking the time to find your way there. Once you arrive, you will see that there’s a beautiful pedestrian bridge (Pont de Rennes bridge) that spans the Genesee River and gives you a great view of the falls. If you go at night, the falls become illuminated with a variety of colors. While you're in the area, you can grab some food at the Genesee Brew House. It has outdoor seating and a rooftop terrace, which means you can enjoy some tasty food with the falls right in view. Before you leave the area, make sure you walk around the cobblestone streets and explore the old factory buildings; this area is considered a historic district because it was once bustling with mills and other businesses. Now, it’s a place to wander about and maybe take some artsy pictures.

5. Trivia Night at a Local Restaurant

One of my favorite ways to make a typical evening out to dinner more interesting is to attend a "Geeks Who Drink" trivia night. These events happen weekly at a handful of Rochester area restaurants. Check the schedule on the Geeks Who Drink Rochester Facebook page and test your knowledge while enjoying some local eats. When you get to the restaurant, just ask to join in and grab an answer sheet; it’s free to play and you can win free drinks as well as other prizes.The more people you bring, the more brain power your team will have, so grab some other couples and make it a group date.

6. Take a Class at the Rochester Brainery

Have you and your partner always wanted to learn how to make sushi or how to plant a succulent garden? Then visit the Rochester Brainery. They offer classes on topics such as art, fencing and everything in between. It’s always more fun to try something new with someone you love, so browse the calendar and find a class that interests you both. It’s guaranteed to be a fun learning experience and you’ll walk away with a finished product, a new skill or some added knowledge about something unique.