Six Tips For Starting A New Semester

Six Tips For Starting A New Semester

A few things to keep in mind as the first day of Fall classes rolls around.

195
Six Tips For Starting A New Semester

1. Go into the semester with a positive attitude.

Even if your professor has a 1.0 on RateMyProfessors, or if you're in the worst residence hall, don't start off with negative feelings. Try to find the best in everything, even if it isn't ideal. Maybe your professor is tough, but there are really great people in the class. Approach every new thing this semester has in store, by looking for the best aspects of it!

2. Start off with good organization.

If you don't have a planner, go buy one now! If you prefer electronics to pen and paper, start filling in your GCal. Personally, I use a planner and GCal. Either way, make sure you have a way to keep track of all your classes, assignments, and meetings. If you get in the habit of it now, it'll make your life so much easier come midterms and finals. The best part about organizing this way is that you can customize it for what works for you. If you want to go crazy with color-coding and stickers, go for it! If it makes more sense for you to simply write things down, that's fine too. Find what works for you and make it routine.

3. Don't wait until New Years to make your resolution.

The beginning of the semester is the perfect time to form new habits. Use this time to start going to the gym, try meal prepping, or even finding time each day to sit down and read a book. If you put these new routines in your schedule from the start, they'll be easier to maintain later in the semester.

4. Try something new.

If you've been interested in a specific campus organization for a while, go to their first meeting! Orgs love bringing in new members and will welcome you with open arms. Even if you're a Junior, or a Senior, it isn't too late to get involved. If you're interested in going through recruitment for Greek organizations, go to their early-semester events and start getting to know all of the different groups. The beginning of the semester is the perfect time to try out new clubs and see what you like!

5. Take advantage of Freshman Welcome Week (a.k.a. FREE FOOD).

The amount of free food and free events that campuses hold in the first few weeks of the fall semester is staggering. Go to as many events as you can and eat as much free food as possible. Bring your friends and get those stupid caricatures and airbrush tattoos and whatever else is free! While the events are geared towards Freshmen, they're almost always open to the entire campus.

6. Don't overthink it.

Yes, college is a really important time where we need to figure out how to get our lives together. And it's the only time in your life where you'll have this much freedom. Go out with your friends and stay up late, even if you'll regret it in class tomorrow, because these are the times that you'll make the best memories. If you don't want to go out, invite people over for pizza, wine, and movies. Either way, make as many memories as you possibly can and have the best time of your life.