6 Pieces Of Advice I Wish I Could Tell My 16 Year Old Self

Most importantly, these are not the best years of your life.

62
MDC

There are so many things I wish I knew when I was younger. I was so young and naive to think that at just 16 years old I've already experienced the best and worst times of my life. I also missed out on what could have been fun times in high school because I let my anxiety take over. I wish there was someone to tell me back then that is was going to be okay and life gets even better after you're a teenager. If you're stuck somewhere in your life always remember that it gets better.

1. High school is NOT going to be the best years of your life, trust me.

This isn’t me saying that high school sucks and you should just rush by and wait for college to come. High school contains memories that you will never forget. You will meet your best friend who is still by your side 5 years later. You will go to every sports game and cheer on your team along side of your friends. There will be boys that give you butterflies and make you smile every time you pass them in the halls. You will learn how to be a leader and start forming into the person you are today. You might think high school were the best years of your life but they are far from it. Enjoy it while it lasts but look forward to what life has in store for you.

2. Stop crying & breathe.

There will be times that you will cry so hard you won’t be able to take a breath. Whether it’s over a boy, school, your family or friends, it’s probably not worth shedding tears over. You are such an emotional person and you let it take over sometimes. I promise, half of the stuff you’re crying over is not worth it. Whatever you’re going though at this moment will pass and it will get better.

3. Don't let your anxiety control you.

This is so much easier said than done. You let anxiety consume you and change you into a person you aren’t. You make up things in your head like people don’t actually like you and everyone’s against you, but they aren’t. You are an amazing person with a bright future ahead and your anxiety is only going to hold you back from some great experiences. Take control of your life and don’t let yourself get lost. You have a mental illness but that doesn’t define who you are.

4. You heart will be broken, but you will get over it.

There are boys out there that will make you feel like everything and nothing all at the same time. You will get hurt and also hurt people in your path. If may feel like you won’t ever be able to get over someone but with time you will. Enjoy the moments you have with someone and remember that if it doesn’t work out, it’s probably for a reason. With each relationship you learn more about yourself and realize what you want or don’t want from a partner.

5. Watch out for toxic people.

More likely than not, your mom will be able to spot a fake friend way before you. Listen to her if that’s the case. Be careful who you let yourself get close to because some people don’t have a heart that’s as big as yours. Just because you trust them with every little detail of your life doesn’t mean they won’t go around speaking down on you. Trust the vibes and gut instincts you get from people. Make sure you surround yourself with people that only radiate positivity and are there for you whenever you could possibly need them.

6. Look forward to the future, it gets better.

There are going to be so many moments in your life that make you feel more happiness than you ever thought possible. You will find people that uplift you as much as they can and give you the love that you deserve. Every moment you feel like you can’t go on just remember that there are brighter times ahead. Keep your head up and never give up on being happy.