6 Things To Know During Your Freshman Year

Is it everything you thought it would be and more?

8

As I have just finished my first year attending university, I thought I would share a few of my experiences/thoughts that may help guide those who are going into their first year of college this fall. Cherish all of the memories and experiences you have/make.

Always Wear Shoes in the Bathroom.

The floors in the ENTIRE building/around campus are not to be trusted! There were a number of people who wouldn't wear shoes around the building during my Freshman year. All I could think was....we are in a close environment with so many different people, there are most likely diseases wondering around the halls looking for victims, so the least you can do is wear your shoes (especially in the shower!). So with that, do NOT forget some type of shower shoes when you first get to campus...you'll thank me later.

You're Here for Your Education.

This isn't high school, you're actually paying for this. Classes are so important, and expensive. Skipping classes is basically setting yourself up for failure. I only missed a few classes due to sickness or going out of town, but I always made sure to notify my professor(s) about it AND get the notes. I sometimes even got class notes from TWO people, just to make sure I got ALL of the information. I would highly recommend doing this as it could possibly save you for your finals.

Cafeteria Food Gets Old.

As much as you love all of the options the dining halls offer, you'll soon get sick of the flavorless food, repeating options almost every day, and inconvenient hours. Most dining halls will offer all types of meals...vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, etc., but this doesn't mean that they will taste good. It's the struggle of campus dining, but you'll find the one spot on campus that you actually enjoy and you'll be able to use practically all of your dining dollars there.

Your Roommate May Not Be Your Best Friend.

You may have a lot in common online, but that doesn't mean you'll be besties. This is advice I learned the hard way. My roommate and I clicked right away, but as time went on, things changed. Always be open with your roommate, and write a roommate agreement form. Writing an agreement form can help further down the road if you have any issues that pop up between the two of you. Communication in general is also key, just let your roommate know how you're feeling, whether it's about your living situation with them or just life in general, they may be feeling the same thing(s).

Talk With Your RA or Advisor.

I truly mean this, reach out! Whether it's for academic help or advice about your personal life, these people are here for YOU! This is their job, to answer any questions you may have and to help you through your transition into college. I wasn't super close with my RA, but we made little jokes and had a relationship strong enough where I knew I could go to them if I needed anything. Also remember that all RA's are here for you, even if you aren't on their floor. I became close with an RA from a different floor and I'm so glad I did because they gave a never-ending amount of amazing and realistic advice

Stay True To Yourself.

No matter what, this is so so important. Finding yourself in college will take some time, but spending time doing things you love will help you find yourself much quicker. If something makes you feel uncomfortable, don't do it. Do things that you enjoy! Put yourself out there to the extent where you know you feel safe and comfortable. College is full of new experiences that brings in stress. Staying true to yourself from the beginning will eliminate a great amount of unnecessary stress.