6 Things To Do In Charlotte Over The Summer

5
melissabrownblog.com

Charlotte can be a hard place to be if you're not 21 years old, especially given it's booming brewery attractions. And while everyone knows there are ways to be "21" even if you're really only 18 or 19, a few of these ten things are possible to do even if you aren't quite there yet.

1. Enjoy country concerts at the PNC Pavilion.

This was the place to be in high school, and probably still is. While there might be groups of chattering teenagers who probably don't even know the name of the artist performing, if you bring a couple chairs, your best friends, and a couple of cold beers it'll be a whole new ball game.

2. Attend a Knights game.

Speaking of ball games... Tickets for these baseball games are cheap and you can grab dinner downtown first too. These are fun if you're of age for a cold drink or not, don't worry.

3. Visit the U.S. National Whitewater Center.

There are so many activities you can do here it's unreal. Hit up the River Jam on Thursday and Saturday nights for a free concert by the rapids. Bring your lawn chair and $5 for parking and you're set. If you can't do that, head over in the morning and buy a sports pass for the day so you can raft through their Class 5 rapids, kayak or paddle board on the Catawba River, mountain bike, hike, zip line, and rock climb. I probably forgot a couple things; that's how many options you'll have.

4. Enjoy Food Truck Friday.

Essentially every food truck in Charlotte agreed to park itself in one lot in SouthEnd every Friday and it is magical. There are burgers, cupcakes, Mexican food, salads, beers -- you name it, it’s probably there in some form or another. This also happens on most Saturdays but if you don’t go on Friday night, it’s not really Food Truck Friday is it?

5. Have a picnic at Freedom Park.

If the weather is nice, this is such a good option. You don’t have to get dressed up and buy tickets to anything; you can just make yourself a sandwich and head over with a good book (and maybe sunscreen?). There’s a trail around the pond to bike or run on if you’re one of those athletic people too.

6. Hike Crowder’s Mountain.

Now, if you’ve ever hiked somewhere like Asheville or on the Appalachian Trail, this hike might be kind of disappointing. However, it’s a short drive from Charlotte and the view is still pretty awesome. It’s definitely worth doing with some good friends on a nice day.