6 Things They Don't Tell You About Grief

6 things many people go through.

108
Abigail Cawthorn

The two-year anniversary of my sister's death passed recently, and it has brought a lot of self-reflection.

1. The pain does not go away.

Not a day goes by where you don't think about your loved one. No matter how long ago they passed. It still sits on your chest, some days weighing heavier than others.

2. Pain sometimes disguises itself.

Abigail Cawthorn

Grief makes the emotional pain you feel occur in various forms. Sometimes it is nostalgia. Sometimes it is anger. Sometimes there are so many emotions, you can't even figure out which one is affecting you.

3. You feel guilty. 

When you have really awesome days, sometimes you catch yourself feeling guilty. As if you shouldn't be happy.

4. There is no 'Grief Timeline'

Abigail Cawthorn

There is no set schedule for grief. Grief can pop up randomly. It can stay for just a few hours or last weeks.

5. Sometimes you got to embrace it. 

Sometimes you have to sit there an acknowledge the grief and bad emotion and physical feelings you have.

6. You compare your grief.

Abigail Cawthorn

You find yourself comparing and your progress to others. Whether it be those in your family, friend group, or acquaintances.