6 Things I Learned As A Student Ambassador

It pays to be involved.
167

As a student leader, I decided to join different organizations so I could narrow it down to the ones that I enjoyed the most and would want to continue into all four years. One of the organizations I joined my freshman year is one that I am so proud to say that I am a part of: the Student Ambassador organization.

What is a Student Ambassador? We are the ones you see when you come to visit college; we are the tour guides. Here are some things I learned as an Ambassador.

1. How to walk backward.

This sounds simple, but once you do it for an hour straight while giving out lots of history and information about the university all at once, it's not as easy. It takes lots of practice. I'll admit, when I run on the elliptical, I will do a mile forward, then a mile backward. When you sign the "Shirt of Shame" for running into something walking backward, you will do anything to make sure that doesn't happen again.

2. How to talk with a smile on my face.

Simple, right? Well, yes and no. I am naturally upbeat and extroverted, but when there are families that just stare at you and don't seem interested, then something must be done. I don't know about you, but a tour guide that is smiling and happy and making bad jokes on the tour is more fun than a boring tour guide that sounds like they are reciting a script.

3. How to be cheery and excited at 7 in the morning.

I'm not talking about a school day either, I'm talking about on a Saturday morning. Yeah. Fully dressed in our uniform and standing or dancing in the cold can get tough. How much coffee is consumed by those students? Let's just say, I'm not a math major, but that coffee helps with numbers 1 and 2 that morning.

4. How important it is to volunteer.

At USI, our Ambassadors don't get paid to give tours, we are solely volunteer work, and the largest student organization on campus that volunteers. Sure, we are walking around campus spitting out fact after fact, but it's so rewarding. I have had many students that are now freshmen who came up to me saying I was their tour guide and after that tour they really wanted to come to USI. That's what makes it worth it. Students and parents that have their questions answered, worries calmed, and see their student excited is what makes it worth it.

5. How to make friends.

What's an organization without having friends? There are so many people in this organization that it's hard to just have one! I would not trade these friends in for anything in the world. Who else would you rather be stuck in an elevator with for almost two hours? (Yes, this happened to us during a retreat.)

6. How to have fun!

Even being stuck in the elevator was kinda fun, because we all look back and laugh. From dancing in the amphitheater on Saturday mornings, to retreats, to making dance competitions between the four colleges to see who wins for Southern Hospitality Days, it's like a stress reliever. I love these people and this organization and would not trade it in for anything in the world.