6 Things That Being A Nanny Has Taught Me

Nannying has taught me so many things that made me grow into the person I am today.

202
Ella Idland

You may think that being a nanny is easy, and all you do is sit on your phone while getting paid. Although it is a pretty laid back job, there are many things that you are responsible for. Being a nanny had a large impact that made me choose the career path that I wanted to go into.

Nannying is much different than babysitting, you are responsible for these kids five days a week, sometimes 12 hour days. I am so thankful that nannying has taught me all of these things that I can use in the future. Here are six things that being a nanny for five years has taught me.

1. Patience

Patience, patience, patience. You can't be a nanny if you don't have patience. All kids have different needs, and they can test your patience at times, especially in public. For the most part, the kids I nanny are very well-behaved, and this is a rare issue. I have rules, and the kids may not always like my rules, but they are fair and for them to learn. They sure know how to test your patience when you try to enforce the rules while in public and they don't listen.

2. Kids are so intelligent and fun

I love being with the kids, I learn something new about them everyday. They are so creative and smart. Whether it's making up a new game or practicing math and reading. All kids are intelligent in their own way, and if you find things that they are good at, and they find it fun, it makes the day go by so much faster for them, and you!

3. Multi-tasking

Until you become a nanny, you don't know what multi-tasking is. There are so many things needed to be done throughout the day. From going to activities, to laundry, to naps, to catering to the kids' needs right at that second, to making sure the kids aren't fighting. It may take some getting used to, but it does get easier with time. You have to compromise at times; they may say they need it now, but you have to prioritize and do what's most important.

4. Preparing me for my future career

With being a future kindergarten teacher, these kids have truly shown me how to be the best teacher I can be. By showing me how to have patience, how they struggle, how to deal with difficult situations with the kids, and also how to create love and kindness. These are all things that I have learned and been through, that can later be used in the classroom.

5. Unconditional love

The endless snuggles and laughs with each other sure make a girl feel special. The random hugs, the snuggles at nap and bedtime make you feel so loved. Not only do the kids show you love, the whole family does too. I have been lucky enough to nanny for this family for a few years now, and their whole family makes you feel like one of their own.

6. I am appreciated

These kids may be little stinkers at times, but they do use their manners when you take them to do something fun such as go to the pool or go out for lunch. Their parents sure do appreciate all you do for their kids also; they are generous and extremely supportive. It makes coming back to nanny for this family so much easier.