6 Things You Learn Working In Childcare

6 Things You Learn Working In Childcare

A vague reflection on dealing with messy monsters!

4639
6 Things You Learn Working In Childcare
Aaron Burden / Unsplash

Recently I worked a job in childcare, and I did not believe that I would leave knowing what I know. I honestly did not treat it as a serious job until I was further involved. As I left this job, I reflected on what it meant to me and how I could apply it further into life itself. Children have always been a passion of mine, and now it only reiterated my previous thoughts and feelings toward children. So here are a few things that I learned from working with children!

1. Childcare is NOT the same thing as babysitting.

One of the first things I thought before going into childcare was that, "Oh, this will be easy. I babysit all the time, and I love kids." With that being said, I was very wrong! The employees are not the same thing as babysitters. As a matter of fact, employees are nowhere near close to babysitters. We can't treat every child as such, because then we would be out of jobs. I consider childcare to be more than equal to the same level that teaching would be on, I mean, in ways we do teach. Childcare employees don't make near enough money to care for as many children as they do. The caregivers of the children are meant to teach and assist parents with that part (i.e. potty training, speaking words, learning colors, shapes, etc. teaching them how to walk, and hold a spoon). Teaching young children is a lot harder than it sounds. When you babysit, you are solely responsible for only the child's needs...not anything further as far as teaching them, or helping them grow.

2. Technology is a LAST RESORT!

I certainly cannot speak for everyone else; however, I strongly think technology ruins how attentive we are around children. Technology has become a serious distraction. I am guilty of it, and I will gladly admit that it is a nice pastime while dealing with children because they can really drive everyone nuts, but it's a hazard. Children are into EVERYTHING! Phones can be useful for moments like when all of your children are asleep and you want to binge watch that new Netflix series, but other than that, I have learned that it's not as easy to play on your phone and watch children. If you're a professional multitasker, like many moms out there, then sure, go for it! I just so happen to not be one of those pros! Phones can be great for recording memories and taking funny videos of the children attempting to talk! But as a whole, I personally believe that it's way too difficult to manage everything like that at once.

3. Every child is different.

I never believed this statement to be blatantly obvious until I watched all of the children grow up (by the way, I'm totally not crying happy tears while I write this). Children are wired very differently, and it has a lot to do with their environments and everything else involved. Children start developing their own personalities at a VERY young age, so it's quick to see what works for some children and what doesn't. For some children, walking takes a little longer and that's perfectly normal.. take me for instance, I was 9 lbs at birth, and I was so fat that I could barely roll myself over. Needless to say, I was slower in the walking department. My sweet babies took anywhere from 10 months to 14 months to start walking. Some of my kids were talking better than others, but not all of them could talk but they knew things and they had their own ways of communicating. Some kids are just needier than others, it really doesn't mean anything other than what they are used to, and our jobs are to meet their needs.

4. Communication is key!

I simply cannot stress how important communicating with the family members is, because sadly, parents work and aren't there to see the things that we see. Once we are able to communicate our thoughts, and share our stories of their children's progress, then they are able to help us out and try to teach the children as well. From the point of communication, it forces the employees to form a trusting bond with the parents which allows us to do everything in our power to help their children grow (which means more teachable moments for us)! Communication is important, no matter what the situation is.

5. Not every situation is the same.

The idea that you really have to consider when dealing with children and their parents is that not every situation is the same. You are only present for set times in the each child's day. You really don't know what goes on at home, and it isn't your job to assume either. You just do the best that you can to care for the kids and tend to their needs. That's really all that you can do, too.

6. Love on your babies all the time because watching them grow hurts and it sucks!

I don't have any children of my own, but now I truly understand why mothers cry so much as they watch their kids grow up. It is INSANELY sad! They grow too fast. I've cried a lot and I didn't have near enough time with the children that I would have liked to, but I love each and every single one of them differently. Love them, hug them, and never let go while they are that young! They will be sassy and mischievous as they get older, so enjoy your bittersweet little moments with them before they grow up in the blink of an eye!