6 Things I Learned The First Two Weeks Of College

Sometimes, you just need to see a pic of your pets.

130
Kaylen Mitchell

I am a freshman in college at Auburn University in Auburn, Alabama. Putting aside the things I’ve learned in classes, these are the top 6 things I learned outside of the classroom during the first two weeks of college.

1. I am out of shape.

I live on campus in the Quad which is in the very center of the Auburn campus. It takes me 5 or 6 minutes to get to any of my classes but in the Alabama heat along with hills and multiple flights of stairs, it’s a lot of walking. By the time I make it to my class I look like I had just stepped out of the shower but really, I’m only drenched in sweat. For those who live in the Village or the Hill dormitories, I am truly sorry that you live so far away. The Quad isn’t the nicest of the dorms, but it is the most convenient. Thankfully, somewhere in the tuition, we pay for a gym membership to the Recreation and Wellness center, one of the nicest facilities on campus. So, now that I know I’m out of shape, I should attempt to pay a visit to avoid passing out on the way to class and also the notorious freshman 15.

2. I don’t need my car as much as I thought I did.

Parking is a horrendous deal at Auburn. There are few parking lots students are actually allowed to park in. By luck of the draw, my parking pass is for RO, or Resident Overflow. Now, by knowing the name, it should tell you something. If you think overflow indicates that it isn’t the preferred parking, and you’re right! It is NOT the preferred parking. It is a mile away from my dorm. In the heat, it takes me an average of 20-25 minutes to get there. During the week you can catch one of the buses or security shuttle that run around the clock. The buses take longer, but they are air conditioned. If you happen to need your car on the weekend when the buses don’t run their route, you are walking. So I’ve done some soul searching on how much I actually need my car. I typically don’t make a trip to my car unless I’m going home for the weekend or need groceries.

3. Leaving your pets for more than a week is hard.

I have 2 cats and a dog at home. Being that I am 3 hours away from home, I don’t get to see them all the time like I was used to. When making trips back to Mobile, I carve out time to spend with family, but especially for my pets. It gets harder every time I have to leave though, and I miss them the first day back at Auburn. I have a fear that my pets won’t remember who I am and pretend I am a stranger when I return home for the holidays, although they probably don't think twice when I leave. I ask my family to keep sending me pictures of them when I am away but it only makes me want to see them more. I think my pets are what make me feel home-sick the most. I enjoy the times when I pass by someone walking their dog, or when I get to pet the cat that lives behind our dorm hall.

4. Embarrassing things will happen every day.

I have it driven into my head that I won’t see these people again because the campus is so large and populated. I have this mindset because my life is a series of unfortunate events and I always find a way to embarrass myself. Once, on the way to my 8:00 am class on the 3rd day of classes, I tripped. I didn’t fall, but my arms flailed in attempt to balance myself and there were plenty of people around to notice. The worst part about it is that there was not anything to trip over. So I essentially tripped over an air bubble. Tripping over that air bubble is just a mild example of my plentiful unfortunate situations.

5. Cold medicine is important to have on hand.

I have had the common cold twice since I have moved in at Auburn. Being in a close space with my roommates make it difficult to get rid of the runny nose. All my roommates have had the cold, so sanitizer, anti-bacterial soap, and Vicks Cold and Flu medicine has become a staple between us. I am already half way through my second box of the tablets because anytime I show symptoms of having the cold, I take one in hopes of stopping it in its’ tracks. Thankfully, CVS Pharmacy is just down the street so it is in walking distance for emergency runs. It is also open 24 hours for convenience, and thankfully I haven’t needed it at 3:00 am yet.

6. There are lots of free things.

Okay, I know. Nothing in life is free. But walking down the concourse during rush hour and getting a free peppermint or snow cone isn’t a bad perk. Every Wednesday, Auburn University has Organization Days (AKA O-Days). There are multiple booths set up with flyers and poster boards to spread awareness about a cause, or just their organization in general. Usually to grab your attention, they will have something free to give out, and taking the treat to give a few seconds of your time to listen to them is worth it. And in the process, you might actually learn something interesting. Also, our dorm gets a little funding to host small events for the residents living here. They of course have a purpose, so for example, one event they hosted was called “Pancake and a Puppy”. There was a therapy dog there with a handler that talked about the importance of mental health. But, by going to the event (which no one had to force me to go play with a dog) you could get free stack of pancakes for dinner. So taking advantage of the free things on campus isn’t a horrible idea.

Though going to class to further my education is important, the lessons we learn without the help of a textbook are just as essential. Freshman year looks to have its successes and its fails, but having these lessons under my belt will make things just a little easier.