6 Things You Can Learn From Kids

6 Things You Can Learn From Kids

We teach kids because they are the future. They teach us because they can.

10
6 Things You Can Learn From Kids
Ashton Bingham

As an individual working in the childcare profession for four years now, I want to say that I've seen it all. I've witnessed the good moments, the not-so-good moments, and even some pretty terrible ones. But through it all, the last four years have given me some of my most rewarding memories. Watching kids smile and learn, hearing their laughs and their snores during nap time – it really can't get much better. What's most amazing is seeing them grow. When you work at one center for an extended period of time, you really get to know the kids, and you can form stronger relationships with them. You are able to watch them move from one room to the next until sooner or later they are graduating from the center completely. I've heard stories from staff members who have worked there for 20 years and they sometimes see kids they worked with in the beginning when they are fully grown adults. And much of their early experiences were with them. It's a beautiful thing. And many of the beautiful moments come from the children themselves and their personalities. While I get the privilege of teaching young ones about our world, I am also lucky enough to be taught by the kids. I get to reconnect with the basics of life and learn more about my future.

1. Every day is a new day.

This one is very important to me. Obviously, not every child has a great day in the center. While they might have bumped their head or had a fight with a friend, they forget all about it when they wake up the next day. Things are as good as new! It also should apply to our adult lives, as well. Sometimes life has its bumps, and some days are way better than others. But tomorrow will be a new day, and there is nothing stopping you from making it a better day.

2. Being creative is good for you.

My current toddlers complete two to three art projects a day. They range from making clay models to finger painting, and I've even seen them use lemon balm leaves as paint brushes. They learn fine motor skills from their creativity, as well more about their own personalities. Every piece of artwork looks different and beautiful. It reminds me that I need to take more time to explore my creative side, and just let loose!

3. Be sure to try new things.

When a child doesn't necessarily like or want to eat a new food, we encourage them to take "adventure bites" with hopes that they will be curious enough to try it. I watched one girl refuse to eat a slice of bell pepper for all of snack time until the very end when she saw me eating one while calling it an "adventure bite." She looked at me and thought something like "Hey, that looks like it's not too bad. My teacher is even doing it!" So, she tried a teeny tiny little bite and ended up asking for seconds. It's important for us as adults to continue to try new things in our lives. Who knows, we may even want more!

4. Laughter truly is the best medicine.

Whenever a kid is crying or upset about something, one of my go-to responses is to try and make them smile or laugh. This not only gets the tears to stop, but it also makes them happy. I think that laughing always makes you feel better, no matter what life is throwing at you. Happiness can always be found as long as you know how to laugh.

5. It's perfectly OK to ask for help.

Sometimes help is necessary. Most kids don't know how to get the soap out of the soap dispenser in my toddler classroom, but they are comfortable telling me that they need help doing it. A few kids show their frustration before they ask for help, but that's OK. What's most important is that they found the courage to ask. It's impossible for us to know how to do everything, which is why there are other people in the world that know the things that we don't.

6. Forgiveness is key.

Unlike most adults, kids tend to live by the "forgive and forget" mentality. If their friend accidentally hits them in the face with a ball, they cry for a little bit, but then they move on with their day. They don't hold a grudge against that friend, and most of the time I'll see them playing together again within the next 10 minutes. Seeing this reminds me that sometimes friends make mistakes. It feels so much better to just forgive them than trying to hate them forever.

Some people don't really understand why I love my job. I change diapers, deal with screaming and biting children, have to clean up other people's messes all day long. While these parts of the job might not be very fun, the other, more important parts make it all worth it. I love teaching them about new things, and I love playing with them. Most importantly is that I feel like I am a better person after learning from children every day. I get hugs and smiles in return, which might not sound like a lot, but it's honestly more fulfilling than doing well on a test. I come home from work feeling exhausted, but I'm so much happier.