6 Things Dowling Catholic High School Taught Me

"That place will always hold an important and special place in my heart."

96
Laurie Seidl

The first year of college, the whole "stuck in high school" phrase terrified me. I loved my high school years, but I didn't want to be "that girl" throughout the first year of college who only talked about her achievements and life throughout high school. In other words, I didn't want to be judged for being proud of where I came from. But one day, that sunk in. Why shouldn't I be proud of where I came from if I love that place and who I am because of it? Obviously there's plenty of factors outside of my high school that shaped who I am today, but I think that's where I grew the most mentally. As I mentioned, I loved my high school. I attended Dowling Catholic High School in West Des Moines, Iowa, and that place will always hold an important and special place in my heart. I learned so many lessons in my four years there, and here's six of the most important ones.

1. I learned to be open to people.

You never know when you're going to meet some of your life-long friends. I didn't meet one of my closest friends till I was on a retreat in January of my senior year of high school. I didn't plan on making any really good friends, because I felt like I already knew everyone. But we connected really well and it's extremely unusual to find someone that late in your high school career that you can find yourself being friends with years down the road.

2. I learned to be confident in who I am.

I met a group of boys my junior year of high school, and whenever we hung out, we played games, watched movies, and did so many random things; just like any other high schooler. Every time I hung out with them, though, I had so much fun. I never stopped laughing, smiling, or feeling joyful. One time, we were playing foursquare outside my house and in that moment I took a short moment to admire them. Prior to this point in my life, my high school experience was enjoyable but I always felt judged for not going out and partying on the weekends, like others I knew did. I didn't think any less of them because of it, it was just something I didn't have any interest in doing. But when I realized how much fun these boys had without doing that and how much confidence they had because of it, I became confident in myself. I wasn't embarrassed anymore when I stayed home and hung out with my parents on a Friday night, and that gave me a lot more confidence in general.

3. I learned that there are so many good people in the world.

Including that group of boys, I met some of the most genuine, smart, and joyful people through my four years in high school. The reason they were so great though, is because they radiated their joyfulness and just being around them made me joyful. This is one of the biggest reasons I enjoyed my time at Dowling so much. These people helped to make me who I am, and I owe the best parts of my high school years to them.

4. I learned to pay attention to my teachers and leaders.

This goes a lot further than in the classroom. All of the faculty and staff that I got to know taught me so much. They have so much wisdom and knowledge about life, and I admire them for that. Following high school, I've stayed in touch with some of them and have become friends with them. I'm happy that I had a high school that allowed me to form those relationships with people I admire so much.

5. I learned about the importance of having a community.

A couple times throughout my fours years in high school, tragedy hit someone within our school. A couple students lost a parent, a couple students passed away from illnesses and a car wreck, and a student took their own life. These aren't easy things to endure, but our Dowling community was strong. I never knew the importance of community until these things happened. So many people helped out these families in need and I was left speechless. It's so important to have a community that supports you wherever you go in life, and I learned how to be there for people in their times of need.

6. I learned to trust the process.

This is the most important thing I learned through my years at Dowling. I first heard this phrase during my junior year, and it has stuck with me ever since. Whenever I feel like my life is falling apart, or I realize that I have no idea what I want to do with my life, I remember this quote. It is a constant reminder for me to trust what God is doing in my life and that He knows where I'm headed; it brings me peace. I'm still learning to trust this process that God is putting me through, but it's definitely helped me out in times of need, and it will continue to for the rest of my life.