6 Thanksgiving Food Favorites On My List

What I'll be looking forward to at dinner.

25
Money

Here we are, right at the cusp of Thanksgiving! For most of us this means heading back home to see family for a much needed break from the stresses of life, even if only for a few days. Or it could be creating new traditions with the people around you for a "friendsgiving". But the centerpiece of this holiday (along with giving thanks, of course) has got to be the copious amounts of food you can already imagine yourself consuming so that come next Monday, you can hit the ground running like a plump turkey ready to face the new week. As I put on my extra roomy pants, I'm sharing six traditional food favorites that I'm looking forward to this week. What I hope is on everyone's plate come this Thanksgiving is plenty of rest, good times, and a couple heapings of at least one food on this list.

1. Stuffing

Okay, so I didn't grow up on this stuff because my family never did a traditional Thanksgiving dinner by ourselves, but somewhere in between invitations to friends' houses and potluck dinners, stuffing captured my taste buds. The mix of bread and herbs in this savory dish makes me want seconds, and the fact that you can choose practically any combination of veggies, meats, fruits, and nuts leaves plenty of wiggle room for experimentation. This one is definitely a star with or without turkey.

2. Pumpkin pie

Need I say more? Actually, I will – no Thanksgiving is complete without pumpkin pie, and we all know the best place to get said pie is Costco.

3. Red wine

What was that? Red wine is not a Thanksgiving tradition? But surely there was wine on the Mayflower? Well then. I guess this bottle just walked over onto the table on its own two legs.

4. Baked yams (with marshmallow!)

The first year my mother made this I didn't know such a dish was possible. This is a dangerous dish. I mean, just look at all of its gooey, sticky, sweet glory, the gorgeous hue of the yams and the perfect roast of the marshmallow. The trick is to cut up the yams in larger pieces so they don't get lost under the thick marshmallow goo.

5. Peppermint bark

I confess: this red and white speckled treat is not exactly adherent nor traditional to Thanksgiving. But it apparently doesn't know how to wait it's turn during the holiday season and finds its way to many a Thanksgiving dinner. Since I love both chocolate and minty candy, I'm not complaining on getting a head start here.

6. Cornbread

I would like to thank Trader Joe's for making this available year-round so I don't have to wait another year to grab myself a piece. Don't forget about this simple staple while you plan your Thanksgiving meal. Remember: there may be small roles, but no insignificant ones.