6 Strong Female Characters Of Our Time

6 Strong Female Characters Of Our Time

2016 Female Empowerment.

84
6 Strong Female Characters Of Our Time
Wonder Woman '77 Special #1

There are so many strong female characters throughout cinematic history that it's hard to narrow it down to just one meager list. This article includes well-known and lesser-known characters from various television shows and movies. Each female character epitomizes a different kind of strength. Their strengths are shaped and molded by the fictional world's they live in. How they interact in the worlds they live in showcases their strengths. Some of these characters had to learn to be resilient in the face of dangerous situations, others had to be perspicacious in order to succeed in their careers and potential futures. These women are all strong in their own ways, and these strengths will be highlighted throughout the following article.

1. Hermione Granger

The main protagonist of "Harry Potter" is obviously Harry Potter, but Hermione Granger is a force to reckon with. She is the main heroine of the Harry Potter franchise, and she might just have a bigger fan following than the boy who lived. Her main character trait throughout the franchise is intelligence. She's seen as a know it all, but many of the other characters fail to realize her intelligence comes from her drive to learn. She's studious and reliable, but she's also brave and fearless. She has saved Harry on multiple occasions, indirectly saving the world. She's an unsung hero who perfectly embodies the strength of an independent woman.

2. Katniss Everdeen

Katniss Everdeen is the main protagonist of "The Hunger Games." It is rare to see a female character be the main hero of an action-packed film like the "Hunger Games." This makes her an extremely special example. Not only is she a resilient survivor, but she also has a deadly aim when a bow is put in her hands. She's selfless, which can be seen from the very beginning of the movie when she says the iconic quote, "I volunteer as tribute." For those of you who haven't seen "The Hunger Games" movies, Katniss volunteers to be a part of the games in place of her sister Primrose Everdeen. This is an extremely brave and loving thing for someone to do for their sister. Not only is Katniss a woman who is strong within herself, but she's also someone that would stand up for her sister and other women.

3. Rory Gilmore

Rory Gilmore is the daughter of Lorelai Gilmore. They're the two main characters in the show "Gilmore Girls." This show personifies real world empowerment. It also depicts strong female bonds through blood and friendships. Rory is an immensely bright young girl. At the beginning of the show she gets into Chilton Preparatory School. Her mom goes to Rory's grandparents for financial aid, because of Chilton's extremely expensive tuition. Lorelai's sacrifices for her daughter and her willingness to allow Rory to make her own decision largely contributed to Rory's success. Rory made it through Chilton despite her uneasy time fitting in. She was accepted into Harvard, Yale and Princeton. She ultimately goes to Yale and is a successful student. She ends up aspiring to write for well known companies. In the series finale she gets an internship trailing President Obama during his campaign trial. If this character's story isn't considered a realistic portrayal of a smart and independent female, then I don’t know what is.

4. Lorelai Gilmore

As previously mentioned, Lorelai was a large contributor to her daughter's success. Lorelai sacrificed her pride by going to her parents, that she did not previously get along with, because she wants to pay for Rory to attend Chilton. Throughout the show Lorelai is shown as an independent female. Lorelai got pregnant as a teenager, which caused the rift between her and her parents. Emily and Richard Gilmore are rich elitists who wanted to be a part of Lorelai's life, but did not know how to relate to such a headstrong young woman. Lorelai raised Rory on her own and ran an inn with her best friend Sookie. Eventually Lorelai and Sookie were even able to buy their own inn. A key moment between Emily and Lorelai is, after Richard has a heart attack Emily is unable to deal with the finances on her own. She is surprised at Lorelai's knowledge on the subject after Lorelai offers to assist her. Her inability to understand Lorelai's independence is clearly shown, but she also seems to momentarily admire that quality in her daughter.

5. Elizabeth McCord

Elizabeth McCord's strength is self-explanatory. She plays the Secretary of State in the show "Madam Secretary." Throughout the show Elizabeth deals with all sorts of international affairs. She has to constantly make quick decisions to prevent any sort of international crisis. She's a witty character who is able to quickly generate solutions to complex problems.

6. Raven Reyes

Raven Reyes is one of the characters in the teen-drama "The 100." The show defies many stereotypes through her character. Raven is the mechanic of "The 100." Everyone goes to her for mechanical issues. She makes the bullets and creates bombs out of tin cans. She's brilliant and resourceful. Raven faces many trials in life. She is shot in the show and looses feeling in one of her legs. She has to use a brace to walk, but does not let it hold her back. One powerful quote by Raven is when she tells her love interest Finn, "We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."