5 Restaurants To Try During D.C. Restaurant Week

Because who doesn't love upscale dining on a discount?

498
The Graham Georgetown

Washington, D.C. foodies, rejoice! Restaurant week has finally arrived and it's here until Jan. 31! If you're anything like me, you usually wait for Parents' Weekend or random family visits to hit up some of the most expensive restaurants around D.C.

With price-fixed menus for lunch or dinner and three-course meal bargains, there's no excuse during restaurant week to get out and try that restaurant you've been dying to go to for the longest time. There are amazing restaurants in D.C.'s many neighborhoods for all cravings and pallets. Here are five recommendations all offering $35 per person price-fixed dinner to help you get started.

1. Filomena Ristorante

Coming from a family that only goes out to eat Italian food, I've tried my fair share of Italian restaurants and Filomena is one of my favorites. Located in Georgetown, this restaurant has a nice old-Italian ambiance to it. During restaurant week, lunch is $22 and dinner is $35 per person.

This includes an appetizer, entree and dessert. While you truly cannot go wrong with anything on this menu, I would recommend trying the Rigatoni con pollo alla vodka. All of their pasta is handmade in house by their amazing Italian chefs. If you're of-age, you'll get complimentary Sambuca or Amaretto with dessert.

2. Masa 14

With a contemporary menu filled with small plates, this restaurant is perfect for the lover of sushi and Asian fusion with a Latin twist. Located on 14th street, you can eat a diverse meal of different Asian plates.

I would recommend taking some friends who like to share to this one so that you can cover basically the whole restaurant week menu and try a little bit of everything. At first glance on their restaurant week dinner menu, their appetizers, like the roasted cauliflower and pork belly steamed buns caught my eye.

3. Jaleo

A personal favorite of mine, this José Andrés restaurant has a diverse menu of tasty small plates. This is another restaurant great for sharing and trying a little bit of everything. Their restaurant week menu is broken up into three different sections of small plates and one just of desserts. Every plate is different, but all the plates are Latin-themed.

Make sure you try their well-known, “croquetas de pollo,” that come in a shoe! Jaleo is located in Penn Quarter, a fun area filled with restaurants. This restaurant is perfect to try if you live here, or great to take people from out-of-town to so they can get a feel for fun D.C. restaurants!

4. Oyamel

Keeping with the José Andrés and small plates theme, this is the perfect choice for the Mexican food lover. Before eating, make sure to take in the young crowd and beautiful restaurant decor. Start off your meal with chips and guacamole that's to die for (and made right in front of you), and continue with many unique Mexican dishes.

Located in Penn Quarter, their restaurant week menu allows a lot of flexibility, as it is divided into five sections of small plates. You can basically get a five-course meal and sampling of the appetizers and tacos that are featured on their regular menu. If you're up for something spicy, a favorite of mine was the "Col de bruselas estilo San Quintín," or "crispy brussel sprouts with a chile de árbol sauce." Bonus if you can pronounce everything on the menu in Spanish.

5. Ambar

If you're feeling adventurous and want to trek out of Northwest D.C., Ambar is a great choice for the lover of unique cuisines. Located in Capitol Hill, their restaurant week menu is truly one of the best deals out there. For $35, you can get unlimited small plates as part of their “Balkan Restaurant Week Experience.” The menu is Balkan cuisine, featuring many different meat dishes, flatbreads and spreads. If you come with an empty stomach and a big group, you can essentially end up trying everything that catches your eye.

Whether you eat out all of the time, never or you're an extremely picky eater like I am, there's something out there for you during restaurant week. This is only a small sampling of the many restaurants that are participating this week. You truly have nothing to lose and are saving money in the process of trying great food. Put your New Years Resolution of losing weight on hold and make your reservations now. Remember, calories don't count during restaurant week. Happy eating!