6 Reasons You Should Drink Tea

6 Reasons You Should Drink Tea

Sometimes coffee just gets boring.

55
6 Reasons You Should Drink Tea
Cuisine and Health

Tea is a type of beverage that is never given enough credit. On top of the fact that it tastes amazing, it has plenty of heath benefits that come along with it. You'd be amazed at how many different types of teas there are out there, in the craziest of flavors and tastes! With finals week approaching, tea can help you stay energized, and can also help you fall asleep better too! Here's a few reasons why you should grab a nice cup of tea instead of that coffee next time.

1. Tea gives you that energy boost you need.

A variety of tea drinks including green, white, black and oolong tea's contain various amounts of caffeine in them to promote wakefulness and decrease fatigue. If you're looking for the greatest amount of caffeine, opt for a black tea. White tea's are usually low in caffeine for those of us looking to limit our intake. Caffeine is actually the substance that makes tea taste bitter (in case you didn't know!).

2. Tea comes in a variety of flavors.

When it comes to choosing a tea, there are hundreds of options. Aside from the classics such as green, white, and black varieties, there comes the world of herbal teas. Many of these do not contain caffeine, making it a desirable beverage for many. They come in berry flavors, minty flavors, all enhanced with plant essences that not only taste wonderful but provide amazing heath benefits for the body.

3. Many tea's are loaded with antioxidants.

Antioxidants are amazing. They help prevent cell damage by inhibiting the oxidation of other molecules in the body. Think of vitamin C, A, E, beta-carotene, these are all examples of antioxidants! Almost all teas contain some levels of antioxidants (herbal teas and green teas having the highest). Health benefits are limitless, including anti-carcinogenic effects, increased immunity, and the maintenance of taste, vision, and smell. You definitely want to include these guys in your diet, and tea is stocked full of em.

4. There's more than one way to enjoy tea.

Although I'm a die hard iced-coffee lover, iced tea comes in a close second. A nice glass of unsweetened ice tea is one of my favorite beverages during the summer, and a simmering cup of green tea with a little bit of honey in it has to be my favorite during those cold winters. Tea can also, believe it or not, make a great chaser for some alcoholic beverages. Just try it.

5. Tea can have a relaxing and calming effect.

Teas such as chamomile, lavender, vanilla, passionflower, and peppermint are known for their soothing effects on consumers. In fact, chamomile specifically has been used to relieve pain and promote relaxation. While peppermint is known for aiding in digestion and clearing out nasal passages. Having a cup before bed can help you fall asleep and ease into dreamland. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

6. Drinking tea means hydration.

Staying hydrated is of the upmost importance, always. Especially when the body is stressed, it is crucial to keep fluids running through your body. Tea's are all natural and don't contain harmful additives, making them so healthy for your body. Although water is always a great first choice, try grabbing a mug of tasty tea next time you're headed to the library.

Some of my favorite brands of tea include Tazo Calm (herbal), Celestial Sleeptime Vanilla, and Arizona Raspberry tea. Try them and find your own favorites!