6 Reasons Why I Want to be a Teacher

6 Reasons Why I Want to be a Teacher

Being a teacher is more than just a lesson plan

166
6 Reasons Why I Want to be a Teacher

I am pretty used to getting a questionable reaction once I tell people that I am an Elementary Education major. If you are confused as to why some may choose this career path let me better explain myself with 6 reasons as to why I want to be a teacher:

1. I love school.

Maybe you think it is weird that I love school, but it is more than just school. I love learning, staying organized (no mom, my room does not count), and being creative. I have just always been this way. I have always loved the subject most hate.... MATH. I am weird I just like numbers and my dad is the same way so I blame him, or maybe I should thank him. Either way, learning and going to school has always been so intriguing to me. I have always cared about grades and getting my homework done, just ask my friends about how annoying I was senior year because pre-calc kicked my butt.

2. I love kids.

I've been babysitting since I was 14 and since then I have worked at a daycare, volunteered as a camp counselor, worked at an after school program, done many practicum hours for a 6th grade class, and nannied for many families. This may be the reason why I think I am going to act like a child for the rest of my life. Kids are just so interesting and they do teach me so many new things. Kids are young and have different mindsets than adults and the whole aspect of it is so exciting to me. Yes, there are days when kids make me want to rip my hair out, but the good outbalances the bad for me. Working with kids involves having a certain kind of patience that can be hard for some people, but for some odd reason I love it.

3. I love building relationships

Teachers spend Monday-Friday for many hours each day with their students. Some students may even see their teacher more than they see their actual parents, so it is so important to build a strong relationship with your students. Students should be able to trust their teachers and want to feel comfortable talking to them. For my practicum I was in a 6th grade classroom with a random teacher I did not even know first going into it, but it was probably one of the best experiences I have ever had happen to me. Thank you Ms. Spenner for opening my eyes and always being there for me and teaching me so many new things and helping me realize how much I really do want to be a teacher, you rock.

4. I love helping others

A big part of being a teacher is helping others. You help students learn and try new things. You help them grow and mature. You help them be more open minded and creative. You help them be independent but also help them learn how to work as a team. You help them with their struggles and doubts. You help them learn how to help others. You help them succeed.

5. I love a challenge

Each student a teacher gets every year is a new challenge. Each student learns and views things differently. Each student comes from a different background and different home life. Every year a teacher has to figure out how to take on each student and what to do in order for each student to succeed. There are many things that can interfere with this as well because you never know what will happen within the lives of each student throughout the year or what has happened in the past that may be affecting them now.

6. I love how rewarding it is

Every year you teach a new group of students and guide them to the next step of their lives. Students learn so much by going to school everyday. How great does it feel knowing you are making such a great impact on the lives of so many different students? Teaching them, helping them, guiding them, and pushing them forward. Yes, I do know being a teacher does not mean I am going to be making millions of dollars, but that doesn't matter to me. I went into this because I wanted to and I chose to do so. The rewarding aspect of being a teacher and impacting the lives of so many kids makes up so much more for me than having a bunch of money.

Maybe now you will rethink the next time you question someone as to why they want to be a teacher and won't belittle them, because it involves more than just teaching students subjects. Also, don't forget teachers get Thanksgiving break, winter break, spring break, and summer break, who wouldn't enjoy that?