6 Reasons to Vote on November 8th

6 Reasons to Vote on November 8th

"I'm busy." is no longer a good excuse to not vote.
1

If there is one thing that seriously irks me about my generation, it is their reluctance to vote. Even my own sister would've chosen to abstain from voting (if she was of age) because there were "no good choices," an answer that has no doubt become commonplace in our nation. In case you are a millennial still on the rocks about voting, here are six reasons to vote on November 8.

America is a democracy.

One of the things that makes our country different from others, is the pure fact that anyone 18 or older regardless of their race, sex or sexual orientation is allowed to cast a vote.

Your vote matters!

Regardless of what side you've taken (or not taken), this election will matter. Whether it was Florida in 2002 or the anti-Brexit voters, there are plenty of scenarios in the modern world in which voting, or rather not voting caused problems. In the words of Abraham Lincoln, "The ballot is stronger than the bullet."

People fought for your right to vote.

Regardless of your background someone, somewhere, fought for your right to vote. Don't let their sacrifice be for nothing, and choose to vote.

You don't want to be a hypocrite.

Nobody likes a complainer, but if you are going to complain about the current political situation, at least do so knowing that you tried to make a difference, by casting your vote.

It's your civic duty.

Most people want to be an active member of society, and voting (among other things) is a great way to do so. Plus every time you vote, you are being a great example to the younger generations who, believe it or not, are watching you.

You're voting for more than the president.

Suprise! Most people don't expect to see positions other than the president on their ballot, mostly because they aren't as well publicized. Believe it or not, November 8 is your chance to also vote for things that delve into both state and district matters. For instance, all 435 seats in the House of Representatives and 34 of the 100 Senate seats will be up for the taking this election. Currently both houses are controlled by Republicans, but this could all change (specifically in the senate) next week. In addition to state representatives, 12 states will be electing governors. As we've seen over-and-over again governors matter, not only do they create the state budgets and allot money to many things you probably care about, they also have the ability to veto bills that come from the state legislative. Although the things you will vote for differs on a state and district level, you can see all the details on your voting situation on this website.

If nothing else vote for a sticker. See you November 8. :)