6 Reasons My Best Friend Is Now My Boyfriend

I took a risk on dating my best friend, and I don't know why I was scared in the first place.

358
Alicia Davis

Beginning my freshman year of high school, I became best friends with a girl named Kelsey, who started dating a guy named James. Before I knew it, she had moved on to a new best friend, and me and James continuously became closer. Eventually they broke up, but neither of us acted on our feelings until seven months ago, and I don't know why we were ever scared of what would happen in the first place.

1. You're automatically comfortable. There was no awkward stage or wondering if we were to the point that I could burp around him. We started the whole relationship just being ourselves straight off the bat and didn't have to worry about what the other thought.

2. You don't have to worry about your friends giving approval. Of course, our situation was a tad bit different because we were dealing with a dramatic ex who I used to be close to and our mutual friends of hers; however, the people who really mattered already loved us, and they were all elated at the thought of us being together.

3. You know each other's likes and dislikes in a relationship. James and I both complained and bragged to each other about past relationships. We basically agreed on everything when it came to those issues, so when we started dating, communicating and solving any problem we came across went so much smoother than it ever did with anyone else, and it still does.

4. You already know a lot about each other. There was no silly game of 20 questions, no timid reveal of embarrassing moments or secrets. Your best friend already knows everything, or at least pretty close, so you don't have to worry about those dreadful conversations or being embarrassed when he sees your bright red hair from sophomore year.

5. You have each other's back 24/7. There is no wondering about loyalty in a best friend relationship. James and I defend each other continuously. We also tell each other when a decision is stupid. We don't let each other settle or accept less for ourselves than we deserve, and that's more important than people realize.

6. Your bond is extremely difficult to break. If we had realized that a relationship wasn't a good idea for us, it would have been nothing for us to just go back to being friends because that was most important. Now that we know our relationship is the real deal, it would take a lot for us to separate, and neither of us would be willing to hurt the other the way we'd have to in order to cause a breakup.

People are so scared of change and risk. Trust me, I get it. I was right there too, but some things are worth taking a leap of faith. No one knows you like your best friend, and if there's a physical attraction, who cares what anyone else thinks? That's a deal you can't beat, and I think everyone should take a shot at dating his or her best friend.