6 Reasons Fiona Gallagher Is Shamelessly Infuriating

She's a rockstar provider, but doesn't do much for herself.

3108

I recently started watching Shameless (US) two weeks ago and I'm already on season five. I can't get enough. Obviously, Fiona is very human like the rest of us and falls short sometimes. Who doesn't? She is an incredibly strong, resilient, hard-working, nurturing, and overall outrageously loving provider for her family, and I love that about her! I know I'm definitely not the only one that can say I'm shamelessly addicted, but I'm thinking I'm also not the only one that gets really infuriated with the cringeworthy moments fans experience with Fiona's complex character. Going by season, here are six times I've been shamelessly infuriated with Fiona.

1. Getting with Steve in the first place.

AV Club

As you can probably tell, I'm not a huge fan of Steve. Yeah, he's got his moments like where he buys the family a new washing machine which was insanely nice and I would've had the same reaction Fiona did initially. However, knowing that he's into stealing cars should've really put up a red flag. A big, whacky, waving inflatable red flag man probably wouldn't have gotten to Fiona though. What happens with Steve as a result of his business is just as infuriating as it is horrendous. If Fiona really wants some good people around the kids and to have a good relationship, she should've just said "pass" and moved on with her life. Sadly, she didn't and she'll be negatively impacted by this horrible relationship for a long time. Girl, get a clue.

2. The Purse Situation

TV Fanatic

I know they're a struggling family on the southside of Chicago, money is tight and good paying jobs are hard to find having not graduated high school. Trust me, this isn't meant to bash anyone who's struggling financially and dealing with what Fiona has. Any of you that are experiencing a situation similar to hers deserves some major recognition and I deeply admire you. The point I'm getting at here is, what example is Fiona putting forward for the kids when she willfully steals a purse? That it's okay to steal and lie in order to provide for yourself? This could've been a great teaching moment for her to relay to the kids' good values in the face of adversity to prevent them from continuing on any path of delinquency. Of course, karma comes to get Fiona when the $500 that was in the purse she stole was rent money for a family as troubled as hers.

3. Fiona lets Steve, or rather Jimmy, back into her life and it ends up being a complete crap show (no surprise here).

GIPHY

The fact that Fiona lets Jimmy back into her life is as predictable as it is infuriating because who does he come back with? Estefania! The daughter of a drug lord from Brazil, to whom Jimmy is now attached, hanging on her father's every word in order to keep himself alive. I do not blame Fiona for Jimmy's bad decisions. But this should've also set up some big, red, whacky inflatable flags, maybe including some blinking sign saying, "run woman!" Again, she doesn't notice. I would have hoped Fiona wouldn't allow a guy that could be so hazardous to her and her family in her life anymore.

4.Fiona FINALLY finds a decent guy like Mike, then proceeds to completely mess it up.

tumblr

Mike is perfect. He's clean, sober, criminal record free and wants an honest relationship. What more could Fiona ask for!? I say, absolutely nothing, but fans are quickly proven wrong when she meets Mike's unfortunate brother, Robbie. Fiona certainly likes the excitement and thrill of being with the "bad boys." Cheating on Mike with Robbie was a massive mistake, as Fiona knows. As is going to jail for leaving out Robbie's cocaine for Little Liam to get into and overdose on. Mike and his family would've been really positive examples to look up to in every way, but such is life when chaos and misfortune follow you.

5. Miss Invincible's at it again after getting off house arrest.

hollywoodreporter

As thrilled as fans were to see Fiona get off house arrest, it's infuriating to see that Fiona still thinks she can go about her normal nonsensical B.S. and get back on the train to chaos and destruction. Outbursts with horrible customers at the restaurant on Father's Day over a measly $3, and punching a guy for dancing with her sister are great ways to be charged with assault then end up in jail all over again. Come on Fiona! Now that Fiona's with Gus, the new guy, who's really cool and nice, not into illegal stuff as far as I've watched, but I'm hoping she doesn't mess that up either. Who knows? I'll still be watching anyway. You rock, Fiona, but be careful and take a chill pill.

[Update: I've gotten farther into season 5, and AGAIN she's messed it up. My heart hurts.]