5 Reasons Antigua Is The Best Part Of My Summer

These are just a few of the reasons that I love returning to Antigua each summer

14
Kemba Webson

As the summer comes to close I'm a little bit saddened by the fact that I didn't get the chance to go to my home away from home this year. For as long as I can remember I've spent some time each summer on a tiny Caribbean island called Antigua. Each summer that I spent there my trip got a little bit longer and each year I became closer to the friends and family that I visit each time I go.
There are so many reasons for me to love Antigua, but here a just a few.

1. I have a lot of family on the island

I always make the joke that I'm related half of the small island of Antigua which is definitely not true, but I do have a lot of family that still lives there. I love that I get to go see them at least once a year pretty much every year. I've got aunts and uncles and plenty of cousins my age there and just a few years ago my older sister moved there so it's a chance for me to see and spend time with her as well.

2. I've made a few friends over the years

I haven't made a whole horde of friends in the country considering I spend most of my time with my family members, but I have made a few and the friends that I have there have continued to be my friend year in and year out even though we may only get to see each other one or two times while I'm there.

3. The beaches are amazing

Antigua is an island known for its beautiful beaches with clear blue water and soft white sand. There are 365 beaches on the island, one for every day of the year and each and every one is spectacular in its own way. My friends sometimes call me a beach snob because I don't really like going to the beach in America anymore because the water is too cold and the sand is so coarse. I don't mind being called with beach snob as long as I get to walk the beaches of Antigua again soon.

4. The food is great

If there's one thing I love, it's food. Let's be real, food is something that just about everyone can relate to so its one of the things on this list that can get you to start planning your own trip to Antigua. I'm pretty sure that I gain a few pounds every summer solely for the fact that my aunts feed me so much. Not that I mind most of the time, the food there is spectacular. Every summer there are a few dishes that I must have before I come back to America including, but not limited to; fried dumpling, maw, rice pudding, and my favorite drink of all time which is a soda called Ting. When you get around to visiting Antigua, try each of these foods. You'll thank me later.

5. Carnival

Probably one of the biggest reasons that people go to Antigua every summer is so that they can participate in Carnival. This is a huge street fair that lasts a week that is celebrated to commemorate the abolishment of slavery in Antigua. It's got different shows and pageants every night to showcase the different talents and highlight the music that the people of Antigua have. It's a giant street fair and everyone dresses up in masquerade costumes and we dance in the streets and explore the island all night long! It's a wonderful time and something that everyone should try to experience if you can in any of the Caribbean countries, but especially Antigua.

So plan your trip now so that you can visit and make friends, go to the beach, try wonderful food, and experience carnival in Antigua, where the beach is just the beginning!