6 Predictions for Marvel's "Avenger's: Infinity War"

*crosses fingers and whispers* Please let it be better than Avengers: Age of Ultron.

123
Flickr

**WARNING: Potential spoilers ahead for all MCU movies. Tread at your own risk.

I remember being in my early years college, discussing different phases that Marvel had planned for its movies. At the time, I believe we were still early in these “phases,” Captain America: Winter Soldier having just come out, and it was hard to imagine that we would ever get to the point of Infinity War.

But finally, we’re here.

After many twists and turns in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU), the battle for the infinity stones (or gems, as they’re referred to in the comics) is reaching a head and, not just the original Avengers, but everyone is gearing up to face off against Thanos. This includes the Guardians of the Galaxy, Black Panther and Wakanda, Doctor Strange, Spider-Man--nearly every hero that we have come into contact with since Marvel began the MCU in 2008.

There are a lot of big expectations with this movie, especially after the latest trailer dropped Friday, March 16. There are so many theories as to what we’ll see on the big screen come opening night--who will be on what side, how they’ll stop Thanos (if they stop Thanos), what the fourth movie will be called--but here are my 6 best predictions as to what we will be seeing in Avengers: Infinity War:

1. The goodbyes of some of our favorites.

Yes, I did indeed say goodbyes, plural. Screenwriter, Stephen McFeely, confirms in an interview that, “It’s safe to say we will say farewell to people.” What does this mean exactly? So far, we remain unsure, but with how many times the MCU has killed off and then brought back a character, it would be redundant to use that same technique in Infinity Stone. It may be time for a permanent character death.

My predictions? With some of the upcoming sequels already confirmed (or as good as confirmed through popularity), it’s safe to say that we will see characters like Spider-Man, the Guardians of the Galaxy, and Black Panther make it through the movie mostly unscathed. As for our original Avengers? Most likely, it will be one of them that bites the dust--or, our favorite awkward alien, Vision, since he does happen to have one of those lovely infinity stones Thanos is looking for in his forehead.

No matter who dies in the film, we will likely be losing other characters to retirement to family life (looking at you, Clint Barton) and/or some serious injuries, so it will definitely be a bittersweet film for fans.

2. The snap.

The new trailer really set up this amazing comic book story-line and made me so excited! So, if you watched the trailer, then you’ll know there’s a scene with Gamora, explaining Thanos to the others. She says, “The entire time I knew him, he only ever had one goal. To wipe out half the universe. If he gets all the Infinity Stones, he can do it with the snap of his fingers.” This is a pretty direct indication to the 1991 Infinity Gauntlet comics where Thanos actually does do just that. He is commanded by Death to kill half the population and he literally does it with a snap of his fingers, superheroes and citizens alike!

THAT’S TERRIFYING.

This theory would be absolutely possible if Thanos was to get all 6 stones somehow, and would set up for the next movie perfectly. They could end Infinity War with Thanos’ snap and pick up in Avengers 4 (hereby known by me as Infinity Gauntlet if this theory turns out to be true) with the aftermath and the remaining heroes in hiding. And it would definitely go along with McFeely’s idea that we will be saying goodbye to some of the characters, too.

3. Betrayal.

It wouldn’t be an MCU flick if there wasn’t betrayal, right? While we do have our usual anti-heroes, like Loki and Nebula, joining us for this movie, I don’t think that they will be the ones betraying anyone, honestly. With the way their story-lines are going, I wouldn’t be surprised if they become somewhat of heroes in this film. Instead, I think the betrayal will come from someone we don’t expect.

My two theories are Gamora and Scarlet Witch. It’s safe to say both these ladies will be living through the movie--with the Guardian’s sequel coming out next year and with Scarlet Witch being a fan favorite character--but because of their high levels of power, and the fact that Gamora is Thanos’ favorite daughter, I believe that he will want at least one, if not both on his side for the final battle and will find a way to influence them, even if just temporarily.

4. A little bit of romance.

Again, it wouldn’t be an MCU film without our favorite super-couples. I think for this movie, there’s going to be a heavy focus on Vision and Scarlet Witch’s relationship, especially if she ends up betraying them or if Vision ends up dying (or both). They’ve been building this relationship up for a few movies now, and personally, it’s one that I would love for the movies to explore more, even if it’s just for a short while!

Other possibilities are Natasha and Bruce , Steve and Sharon, Gamora and Peter, or Tony and Pepper. Most likely, we’ll get all of them in their own semi-romantic scenes and I can’t wait (aside from Natasha and Bruce. Fight me, they’re my least favorite).

5. Hilarious interactions between our favorites heroes.

I think actually seeing all of the characters interacting will be the most magical part about Infinity War, honestly. The trailer already teased Tony Stark being completely annoyed by Peter Quill within what is likely the fist few minutes of him being back on Earth, and the hilarious interaction as Peter Parker and Doctor Strange are introducing themselves to each other. I’m looking forward to even more, though.

Marvel’s characters have such big personalities, almost all of them too sassy for their own good. The interactions I’m looking forward to the most? Spider-Man and Starlord, Rocket and Iron Man, and Drax and Thor. No matter what, though, hilarity is definitely going to ensue, and maybe some new friendships formed!

6. A sentimental Starlord.

A fact that I totally didn’t think about up until I was reminded by a fan theory video (or 12) was that this is going to be SO EMOTIONAL for our favorite space cowboy. Peter Quill is from Earth! Which means that he, above any of the other guardians, will be invested in saving the planet from Thanos. I don’t know about y’all, but I’m definitely looking forward to some sentimental Peter moments throughout the film. His first few steps onto Earth again, meeting humans, maybe even taking a trip to his hometown and seeing some familiar faces! We know through the trailer that the gang will end up in Wakanda at some point, but who’s to say that Peter won’t get to take a trip down memory lane, as well? They do have space ships after all!

No matter what ending we get, we are bound to be left on a cliffhanger of some sort. Whether it be with my theory on the ending (see point 2), or with another ending, Marvel is known for their desperate need to keep us on the edge of our seat for another whole year so our butts show back up for the sequel, so stay tuned for predictions on what Avengers 4 has in store! Hope to see everyone in the theatre geeking out with me on April 27!