6 Positive and 6 Negative Traits of an INTP

Like still water in a pond.

48055

At some point in your life, it’s likely that you’ve taken the Jung Typology Test. But chances are, you just don’t remember. This personality test isn’t some Q&A from Seventeen Magazine, it’s an in-depth analysis of people’s behavior. It categorizes behavior into 16 different types, using four letter acronyms. After being recommended to take the test, I was fairly skeptical that anything could epitomize all human behavior, but after taking it, I was more than convinced. It said I was as an Introverted Intuitive Thinking Perceiver or INTP. As I began researching INTP characteristics, it was as if I was reading a biography.

Here are some of the negative traits that INTP personalities entail.

1. Over Analytical

INTPs often seem distant or detached from their external world. This is largely to do with their introverted thinking, causing an inner monologue of continuous thought. They are excellent at making connections between seemingly unrelated concepts to form new and unique ideas. But as a result, they often struggle with overanalyzing almost everything. They often annoy others by correcting their grammar and annoy themselves by lamenting over their past mistakes.

2. Absent Minded

Because of their introverted thinking and their high regard for logic, they often are so lost in their own thoughts that they routinely misplace their belongings, miss deadlines and forget important dates. INTPs are in a constant struggle between the internal and external world and usually the internal wins.

3. Small Talk

Relating with most people doesn’t come easy to INTPs. When there is talk of celebrities, pop culture, sports and cars, INTPs usually stay silent until something peaks their interest. If conversation doesn’t move from superficial jibber jabber to much deeper topics, they tend to tune out and even get annoyed in the presence of others. Addicted to new information, they live by the mantra "if you don’t have anything worth saying, then don’t bother saying it."

4. Lazy

Of the 16 Types, INTPs are considered the laziest. Their extroverted intuition accompanied by their introverted perception makes them lazy listeners. They often appear forgetful and apathetic to their world around them. Leaving messes, missing appointments and neglect of personal hygiene, the INTP is commonly referred to as an absent-minded professor.

5. Maze Brain

INTP brains have been described as a spiderweb of information. Their thoughts seem to bounce from one concept to another, finding patterns and forming logical conclusions based on their perceptions of the external world. Most people would have trouble following a conversation with an INTP, as their extroverted feeling is their least developed trait. This isn’t to say they are emotionless, they just have trouble expressing how they feel. It’s been said that INTPs are an all or none when it comes to their feelings. Emotions come in bursts and are usually short lived, but they usually have a deep emotional care for others.

6. Relationships

In their relationships with other people, INTPs typically have a small group of friends. Pegged as having a distant personality, new friendships can spark if there is a common interest or train of thought. Their friendships are based on knowledge above all else. This can make it slow and difficult for INTPs to make new friendships. They are shy individuals and romantic relationships aren’t their strong suits. Their creative imagination can be child-like and playful in their relationships, but like their theories, many of their ideas are romanticized, and never come to fruition. The INTPs relationship needs are relatively simplistic, which can be good, but often poses a problem when their partner requires gifts, date nights and emotional involvement.

With the negative traits come some positive traits. Here are some of the positive traits people who are INTP display.

1. Enthusiastic

Since their extraverted feeling is the least developed trait, when an INTP learns new information that fits into their logical understanding of the universe, they may react in an overly enthusiastic way. Seemingly mundane facts can enlighten the INTP if they contribute to the internal framework of truth that lies at the foundation of the INTP's motivation.

2. Abstract

INTPs may not acquire the motivation to manifest their thoughts into reality, but they’re excellent at understanding and forming abstract theories and ideas. INTP's unrelenting thought process has invoked many of science's greatest innovations. Albert Einstein and Isaac Newton are two of the most common famous people with the INTP personality type.

3. Dedicated

Although they are perceived as lazy, the INTP can have an almost obsessive focus on an idea, breaking it down to each individual facet of information until the concept is fully understood. Stored in their memory, these foundational truths impact the ways in which they react and perceive their external world.

4. Honest

Honesty is both a positive and negative trait of the INTP. Because they have thought through a vast amount of information of a broad array of topics, when they have a solid understanding of something, they often speak up and correct others' mistakes. Also, their underdeveloped extroverted feeling causes them to speak the truth without regard for other people's feelings. It would be misleading to say that they are mean or insensitive, rather, it’s that they value truth over hurting someone’s feelings.

5. Open-minded

Despite their condescending attitude, INTPs creative imagination allows them to question the societal norms and break free of preconceived notions. They are open to hearing new ideas and learning about different cultures, anything that adds to their information database that is their brain.

6. Laid-back

When INTPs aren’t being overenthusiastic about an idea, they have been described as having a calming presence about them. Like still water in a pond, they remain calm in some of the most urgent situations. Becoming good friends with almost everybody that takes the time to get to know them, INTPs are known to be loyal, honest and insightful in their relationships. They don’t like controlling people, as this would go against their own way of life, which can make them seem passive when put in charge. Yet, they are willing to help almost anybody in any way that they can.

If you’re curious about which of the 16 types you are, you can take the Jung Typology Test here.