6 Pieces Of Advice For High School Seniors During COVID-19 From A College Freshman

I was in your shoes last year and I wish I had more advice

21
Photo by Jen Theodore on Unsplash

I am currently a freshman in college so that means almost a year ago to this day my high school career basically ended. I know this year has been tough especially since this year's graduating class has had the coronavirus with them all year. When school went online last year it was one of the worst things for me. It took me so long to get through this time of my life and honestly I don't think I completely am.

1. Cherish every moment- This might be mushy but also true. There are only a few more months left of the school year and trust me you want to make the most of it. There is so much going on in these last few months and you want to be with friends as much as you can. These are the last moments of your "childhood" so soak it up.

2. Enjoy summer- This is your last summer before college. Before you or your friends move away. Spend as much time with friends as possible.

3. Don't be sad over losing friends- You will lose friends. I have lost many friends that I made in high school after we went off college. My friends that I have kept are ones that I have been friends with since before high school. Hold onto them.

4. Get prepared for college- You might think you are prepared but you are not. College hit me hard. I was so excited and I thought I was prepared but I wasn't. You should talk to people older than you and get some more specific advice but for now, look into your school more and get involved early and make friends who will help you.

5. Take in-person classes if possible next school year- Online/zoom classes are hard. Watching online lecture videos might seem like it would be better, but it is not. No one has time to sit and watch an hour-long video and trust me you will hate it. As for zoom classes, it is very hard to sit and listen to a lecture on your computer screen from a professor that doesn't know how zoom works. You will get distracted and it will be hard to stay on track all semester.

6. Spend as much time with family as possible- I moved out a month after college started and I wasn't expecting that. That might not seem like a big deal, but then my mom moved to another state 2 months later. I miss my mom and I wish I could see her more. Whether you are staying at home or going away for college spend as much time with family because you never know what is going to happen.