6 Noteworthy Award Shows Mix-Ups

6 Noteworthy Award Shows Mix-Ups

The Oscars will never live this down....until next time.

29
6 Noteworthy Award Shows Mix-Ups
Google

Unless you've been in a coma for the last week, you probably heard about the big mix-up at the Oscars, where Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway announced "La La Land" as the winner for Best Picture. After the whole cast and crew of the movie got on stage and began making speeches, it was discovered that the wrong envelope was read and "Moonlight" had actually won the Oscar. It turns out, this isn't the first time award shows have gotten it wrong. Here are six other noteworthy mix-ups to prove the 2017 Academy Awards aren't the only ones who make mistakes.

1. Miss Universe 2015

You knew it was coming, so we might as well get it out of the way now. Less than two years ago, Steve Harvey wrongly announced the winner of Miss Universe. After being crowned and given flowers and a sash, Miss Columbia Ariadna Gutierrez started her winning walk down the stage, at which point Steve Harvey returned to the microphone and announced that she was actually the first runner-up, and Miss Universe was really Miss Philippines Pia Alonzo Wurtzbach. Miss Columbia and Miss Philipines then had to stand center stage as the crown was removed from Gutierrez's head and placed on Wurtzbach.

2. Academy Awards 1964

2017 wasn't the first time Price Waterhouse Coopers handed a presenter the wrong card at the Academy Awards. In 1964, Sammy David Jr. announced the winner of Best Music Score (adaptation or treatment) as John Addison for "Tom Jones." Besides the fact this was the wrong winner, there was one other glaring mistake; "Tom Jones" wasn't nominated for that category at all. The mistake was quickly corrected and the Oscar was given to Andre Previn for "Irma La Douce."

3. Academy Awards 1934

It turns out there have been quite a few mix-ups in Academy Awards history. Back in 1934, presenter Will Rodgers announced the Best Picture. He wasn't handed the wrong card but merely read the card incompletely. Instead of reading the full name on the card, he said, "Come on up and get it, Frank." It would have been a fine segue...if it weren't for the fact that there were two Franks up for the award. Thinking he had won, Frank Capra from "Lady of the Day" started to make his way to the stage when, in fact, Frank Lloyd from "Cavalcade" was the true winner.

4. Daytime Emmys 2013

In 2013, the ladies of "The Talk" came to the stage to announce Outstanding Talk Show in the Informative category at the Daytime Emmys. Aisha Tyler opened the envelope, but immediately caught the mistake and told jokes as the presenters waited around on stage while people scrambled backstage to deliver the right envelope, which was then awarded to "The Dr. Oz Show."

5. NRJ Awards 2009

At the NRJ Awards, a music awards show in France, then newcomer Katy Perry took the stage to accept the award for Best International Single, but it turns out the award was actually meant for Rihanna. The show's host, Nikos Aliagas, admitted the mistake...eventually, waiting until the end of the show.

6. BET Awards 2011

At the 2011 BET Awards, Tiffany Green, your average fan, won the opportunity to announce the Viewer's Choice award. A truly incredible experience, and hopefully one that wouldn't get messed up...but, as you probably guessed, that didn't happen. A teleprompter error caused Tiffany to read Chis Brown's name for what should have been Rihanna's award. It only took a few seconds to fix the mistake and Drake (yes, Drake) to come up to accept the award for Rihanna. To make matters worse, this was in the height of the assault scandal between Chris Brown and Rihanna. Yikes.