6 Movies You Must Watch If You Consider Yourself A Feminist

Grab some popcorn and a drink and buckle up for the best feminist movie marathon ever!

612

Let's be real here, the systematic oppression of women is real and prevalent in today's society. That's why you've likely only heard of feminist books and movies in your women's studies classes. But, if you're like me and don't have time for women's studies classes in your very busy schedule, then you have to do your feminist research on your own. Lucky for you, I've done all the work for you. So grab some popcorn and prepare yourself for the best feminist movie marathon you'll ever see.

SEE ALSO: 'Herstory' In The Making: I Marched, Did You?

1. "Thelma and Louise"

"Thelma and Louise" is a classic that you've probably heard referenced a thousand times. When it was released, there was an uproar from society basically because women were playing roles loaded with typically male traits (violence, aggression, guns, etc.). Thelma and Louise are two total badasses who basically take down any men who don't treat them right all while on the lam. You'll want to watch it again and again.

2. "Legally Blonde"

Okay, so you've probably seen this one, BUT did you recognize all the strong feminist themes? Elle, played by Reese Witherspoon, is the epitome of what it is to be a woman and be powerful. She shows us that we don't need men (or anyone for that matter) to help us to achieve greatness. She does it all on her own in the face of great adversity.

3. "Mulan"

Alright, so you've probably seen this one too. But as a kid you probably didn't see what a true feminist Mulan was. She risks her life and her honor, all of her possible prospects for marriage, to save her father from harm. Additionally, she kicks ass in the army, out fighting all the men. Mulan could sure as hell make a man out of you, even if Shang couldn't.

4. "Matilda"

Aside from being one of the best movies of all time, "Matilda" was a true feminist. Matilda herself showed strength and power even as a child facing oppression from her father and family. Not to mention, Miss Honey was an independent woman who didn't need no man from day one. All in all, great movie with strong female leads.

5. "Dark Girls"

"Dark Girls" is an amazing documentary that discusses the prejudices associated with skin color, particularly, women of color. True feminism is inclusive and intersectional, so this documentary is more than fitting to any feminist. Be careful, this is one you'll be talking about for months.

SEE ALSO: The Best Signs From The Women's March You Need To See To Believe

6. "Obvious Child"

I saved the best for last. "Obvious Child" is one of my all-time favorite movies. It's a comedy that follows a woman who has a one-night stand, becomes pregnant, and then faces choices about abortion - while also falling for the guy. You already can't go wrong with the hilarious Jenny Slate, but this movie is SO FUNNY. Not to mention one of the only movies you can find that doesn't demonize or vilify abortion.