6 Habits to Form Over Quarantine

6 Habits to Form Over Quarantine

What's a better way to cure the quarantine blues than to pick up a few new healthy habits?

20
6 Habits to Form Over Quarantine
%26fm%3Djpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pexels.com%2Fphoto%2Fclose-up-of-smart-phone-on-table-253365%2F&tbnid=pKQPG34VhAlQoM&vet=12ahUKEwjJgLD3yfvoAhVHOK0KHbemCnMQMygDegUIARCZAg..i&docid=Vso7Y_dRB4ecfM&w=1920&h=1277&q=phone%20on%20table&hl=en&ved=2ahUKEwjJgLD3yfvoAhVHOK0KHbemCnMQMygDegUIARCZAg

According to research, starting a new habit takes approximately 21 days to form and affect our daily lives. As the United States is entering its approximate 40th day of quarantine, this three-week timeframe has probably already given many of us new routines to follow during this crazy time. Whether you already have put some new habits into place, or you have no idea where to start, here's a list of six habits that are good for you and super easy to develop!

1. Go Outside!!

It can be so easy to wake up late and spend all the daylight hours catching up on schoolwork and Netflix shows. Even though we have to stay home doesn't mean we have to stay inside! Get outside and walk your dog, wash your car, or even work on your homework. You'll get some vitamin D from the sunshine, and feel so much better than you would being cooped up inside all day.

2. Stay in Touch with Far Away Friends and Family.

Not being able to surround ourselves with all of our loved ones is definitely one of the worst things about quarantining. Thankfully, we have an abundance of technology to keep up with our friends and family that aren't in our household. Try to reach out and talk to a relative or friend you haven't seen every day. Grandparents would absolutely love to catch up over a phone call, and ranting over text to your college friends about your finals week can really bring a smile to your face.

3. Wear Your Hair Naturally!!

If you're anything like me, you spend an abundance of money on hair products, ESPECIALLY styling tools. Blow drying, straightening, and curling your hair makes it look amazing, but can damage it in the long run. Let your hair air dry, or limit your styling tool usage to once or twice a week. No one will even see it anyways, and you can always toss it up or throw on a hat. I've been working on this one myself for a couple weeks, and I'm starting to see a difference!

4. Stop Eating For Fun!!

I am guilty of grabbing a plate of chips and salsa every time I sit down to binge a few episodes of Criminal Minds. More times than not, I finish my Netflix snack and think to myself, "Why did I do that, I wasn't even hungry?" It can be so easy to take a trip to the pantry whenever boredom strikes, but try to resist doing this! Drink a glass of water instead, or do something productive until boredom turns into real hunger.

5. Spend Some Time Away From Your Phone.

If you get a notification on your phone from settings every week telling you that your screen time has increased, you're definitely not alone. I waste so much time on TikTok and Snapchat, and often times I don't even realize just how much until I get my screen time report on Sunday. Not only am I wasting time, but I've also been getting serious headaches from being on my phone so much. This one is definitely one of the most difficult habits to develop, but try your best to spend an hour or two away from your phone each day. Play a game with your family, read a book, or go on a technology free walk! It will decrease your screen time, and probably a little bit of stress too.

6. Improve Your Attitude.

Social distancing is definitely not what we'd all choose to be doing right now. But instead of spending all our time complaining about it and wishing life would hurry up and go back to normal, we can choose to see the silver lining. Being able to spend more time with family has certainly been a plus, and having more time to focus on yourself is great too. Spend a couple minutes every day thinking about what you're grateful for. It doesn't even have to be a huge list, just a couple things can really bring out the good in a bad moment! Having a positive attitude is good for you, and can help quarantine not seem so bad after all.