6 Easy Steps To Becoming A Morning Person

How to wake up motivated and get things done!

32
Skinny Mom

Let me tell you a little something about myself. I cherish my sleep. And a few years ago, there was no way you could lug me out of bed before 9 am. Heck no. Not gonna happen. Even this weekend I didn’t wake up until 10 a.m. and didn’t officially get out of bed until noon. What can I say? I’m a night-owl with a regular bedtime of 2 a.m.

A couple weeks ago, while I was on a little weekend vacation, I suddenly had a realization. On this mini-getaway, I was waking up around 7:30 am because the sunlight would be peaking through the window. Surprisingly enough, I didn’t mind it. I would then get up, get ready for the day and enjoy some green tea all before 9 am. I realized just how beautiful the mornings are and that I no longer wanted to just sleep them away.

This meant a huge lifestyle change was going happen and clearly, as it is still a work in progress, it isn’t an easy one. You can’t just flip a switch and expect to magically be a morning person! No, this is a journey, my friends. Even though I’m not a full-swing early-bird, as a person I feel more holistic; I think more positively, have a better outlook on life, and I am more productive.

Waking up early has created a sense of content in my life. Instead of stressing so much about what needs to be done, I just do it. In the mornings, there are fewer distractions. Maybe it’s because there is a peaceful vibe that creates an easy atmosphere. Whatever it is, I have more energy and a greater attitude towards life. And I love it!

if you are looking to become a morning person, let me help you. Anybody can make this change to become an early bird with just a few simple alterations. And here they are:

1. Change your bedtime

Now for me, this was the most difficult step. Like I said before, I am night owl through and through. So how am I able to suddenly go to bed earlier without just staring at the ceiling for hours, you ask? Well, it starts by going to bed 30 minutes before you normally hit the hay. Then once your body adjusts to that time, you add another 30 minutes. Before you know it you will be in bed by 9:30pm.

2. Establish a bedtime routine

Remember, you may struggle with falling asleep for the first couple weeks. Your body has to adjust! On that note, this is why it is important to create a routine. This tells your body that it’s time to quiet down. Here are some helpful tips to stimulate sleep:

-Turn off all screens an hour before you plan on falling asleep.

-Read for 30 min.

-Do some night time yoga

-Take a nice hot bath or shower

-Drink some tea (non-caffeinated of course)

-Write in a journal (Old-fashioned way, you know with pen and paper.)

3. Get up with your alarm… With no snooze button!

5. Wake up early on the weekends

Why do you want to wake up earlier? Find your reason and set reminders. It is hard to be a morning person when you don’t have a good enough reason to get up. Find something that makes you want to get up like exercise, breakfast with a friend or the morning news. Be excited for the day and get up! Get moving and live your life.