6 Documentaries Worth Watching

6 Documentaries Worth Watching

Documentaries can be cool, I promise!

29
6 Documentaries Worth Watching

OK, I know when you first hear the word “documentary,” you immediately think of those awful movies your high school teacher would put on that automatically put you to sleep… But lately I’ve been introduced to some incredibly well-made documentaries that are actually super interesting. A good documentary can be not only educational, but can also really change the way you think and can make you question things you never have before. Here are some fascinating documentaries that are most definitely worth watching.

1. "The True Cost."

Fast fashion is taking over the clothing industry, well, quickly. "The True Cost" reveals the horrible consequences of increasingly cheap and unethically made clothing on people and the planet. Throughout the world, workers are being treated worse than poorly, and their labor is exploited by the big companies that make the clothes we wear every day. The injustice of the fashion industry is something we need to be more conscious of, and this film does an excellent job showing the harmful outcomes of the clothing we often take for granted.

2. "Cooked."

I am an obsessive foodie, so any time I have an opportunity to learn more about food, I am so there. This Netflix documentary series was created by acclaimed food writer, Michael Pollan, and based on his most recent book. "Cooked" contains four episodes titled for each of the elements (Fire, Water, Air, and Earth), and takes the viewer through the history of food and human cooking. I was amazed watching this series and learning about where our food comes from and what it means both ecologically and culturally.

3. "Inequality For All."

This poignant documentary, created by former U.S. Labor Secretary Robert Reich, discusses the gravity of our country’s current state of economic inequality. The widening gap between rich and poor has gotten out of control, but this film also inspires hope that with hard work it is possible to improve this incredibly important economic issue.

4. "Exit Through the Gift Shop."

Everyone knows about Banksy, the subversive, incredibly talented artist taking England’s streets by storm. French documentarian Thierry Guetta’s obsession with street art is seen as merely eccentric until the highly anonymous and mysterious Banksy himself takes over and proves that “one man set out to film the un-filmable. And failed!” This film about street art, while quite probably a hoax, is so wonderfully intriguing.

5. "The Invisibles."

This fascinating four-part documentary series, created by Mexican activist and film actor, Gael García Bernal, deals with the hardships faced by individuals trying to immigrate to the United States from Central America. The documentary the constant struggles and danger involved for families struggling to make new lives for themselves in a new country as well as the human rights issues involved in the debate over immigration.

6. "Paris Is Burning."

Filmed in the '80s, this highly controversial documentary follows the African American and Hispanic gay men, drag queens, and transgender women involved in the cross-dressing competitions, or balls, in the underground NYC club which preceded the huge rise of drag culture in the media. The film uncovers not only the colorful pageants, but the serious race and gender politics involved in the lives of these people. Go look into some of the controversy surrounding this film as well because it’s so important to the way you’ll view the film.