6 Disadvantages to Having Short Hair

6 Disadvantages to Having Short Hair

A part two to 6 Benefits.

6047
6 Disadvantages to Having Short Hair
Google

Two months ago, I wrote my most popular article to date: "6 benefits to having short hair" (which you can read here); I wrote it as an ode to my newfound confidence after chopping off my hair - I have since chopped off more hair to get a true pixie cut - and it has still been one of the better decisions I've done with my life. I have no regrets, and I can say that this short hair is here to stay for a long while. You know what I wished that people told me, though? It took a good hour to chop off my hair from my jawline to get to my pixie cut - no one tells you that you're chopping off more hair than you realize. Seriously, I was covered in my hair by the end; dry and wet hair was all over my chest and lap while more dry and wet hair circled me on the ground. It was a lot!

But as time has passed, it isn't always rainbows and butterflies; there have been a few things that I've noticed when it came to cutting my hair that I'd like to address here, some 'disadvantages' you could say. Some are silly, little things, and others are a little more grave, so without further ado, here's part two to the original articles - here are a few disadvantages to having short hair.

1. There're a few strands of hair in the back of your head that refuse to sit down.

Apparently a haircut is empowering for your mind and your hair, as your hair decides it wants to march to the sound of its own drum - and no matter how much you try to style it, it refuses to play along to what you want.

2. You actually need hair product now.

I wasn't really big on using hair products before my haircut because it wasn't worth the time for me, but because my hair needed to be texturized and layered and because it's a pixie, I need a special hair gel to make sure it doesn't lay flat on my head.

3. You will still shed.

Granted, your hairs are way, way shorter now (obviously), but even though you've taken the plunge, your hair is still going to shed, and there's not much you can do to stop it.

4. People are going to react to this 'dramatic' hair look.

You're going to turn heads like you're making a huge statement (if you are, work it!), and by 'people' I mean friends, family, coworkers, your boss... People are going to make a comment because they feel the need to; they can be good and they can be downright rude. After a week of getting used to your hair, it's going to be a little annoying when people come up to you shocked and say 'did you do something with your hair?' I had someone say 'that's pretty short... yikes...' to me, and I'd be lying if i said that that didn't hurt.

5. The back of your neck is now frozen in the winter time.

Those of us who live in the north and have short hair... get a hat. And a scarf. It's going to take some time to get used to this strange coldness on your neck.

6. As soon as the reality hits in that you chopped off your hair, you wonder if you made the right decision.

For me personally, I went from having anxiety about having long hair because of damage and pain, to having anxiety because it was so ridiculously short. Did I still have my femininity? Did I get a grandma haircut? This occupied my mind for a day or two after I got it, but I quickly got over it once I learned how to do what I wanted with it. Short hair takes getting used to when you've never had it before and figuring out how to take care of it and to style it, so allow yourself the time to do that.

I list all these disadvantages but weighing the pros and cons, this list feels like nothing; they can be dealt with and handled, and a lot of the times they're silly little things. Short hair is beautiful. Short hair doesn't define your age or femininity; you do that yourself. Hair grows back, and it's okay to cut it for whatever reason you want; just make sure that it is your decision. My hopes between my first list and my this one is that, if you want to take the plunge, that you see both sides of the coin (but it is worth it in the end!).