6 Most Damaging Human Fallacies

6 Most Damaging Human Fallacies

Can humanity grow out of these mistakes?

31
6 Most Damaging Human Fallacies
Pixabay Photography

No one is perfect and as a species, neither is humanity perfect. We all struggle along the path of life, using our own beliefs and the help of others to aid us along the way. But here are the most common slip-ups humanity makes as a whole that almost always end in disaster.

1) Trying to save face

Both individuals and institutions use this one. After a mishap occurs, people will stop at nothing to try and cover it up. We are so used to pretending to be flawless that we do not feel comfortable being open and honest about mistakes and wrongdoings. It is mostly for the sake of reputations why these cover-ups continue to happen. However, saving face actually stunts human growth because it prevents others from learning how to avoid damaging mistakes. It also hurts the victims of these mistakes or wrongdoings.

Former USA gymnast Kaylin Brietzke was sexually abused by her gymnastics coach at age seven said: “It doesn’t matter who you’re protecting, it doesn’t matter that they’re part of your organization and you wanna save face …how about saving me?” Brietzke said.

2) Disdain of dissent

Facebook comments are the best testament to the fact that people cannot even tolerate, much less maturely respond, to opinions opposite theirs. I believe this is a growing problem that wedges deeper divides between people. Especially, now with personalized Google results, advertisements, and news tailor-made to fit our personal preferences, people may find it harder to be tolerant of the opinions of others. We fail to realize that dissent allows us to think more clearly about our own opinions and see sides to things we may not have seen before.

3) Disdain of change

Human love of comfort and disdain of change is another big fallacy. We get so comfortable in society and in our own lives that we tend to settle for less when we could be striving and achieving more. The disdain of change makes us sit by and allow unjust things to happen simply because of tradition. We should not always make the past a precedent for the future. We should make the past a lesson and move forward.

4) “Victimization”

I am internalizing the definition of victimization to mean viewing oneself as a victim and making decisions or living one’s life based on that belief or recognition. I am not implying that victims make up their situations or that they are not truly victims. There are many people who have been victimized by horrible acts done to them by other human beings. What I am saying is that in order to free yourself from the bondage of what has been done to you, you must rise out of that mold. Do not view yourself as a victim, but as a survivor, as a person who can and who will overcome the challenges before you. The latter way of thinking is life-changing.

5) On the flip side, victim blaming

Victim blaming happens a bit still, as people somehow come up with the idea that if someone is victimized that it is their fault, either for being at a certain place at a certain time, for certain person life choices, for their appearance, etc. This phenomenon is one reason some people are embarrassed to report rape and other horrible things they go through. They fear that people may believe that they are lying or that they, the victim, were in the wrong.

6) Giving away our free will

At the beginning of our lives, our parents or guardians are our voice and will. Up until a certain age, they hold most control over the decisions we make. Surprisingly enough, there are adults who give their free will away to other people. This is especially the case in some adult relationships. The individuals involved allow the other person to dictate the what, how and when of what they do. People also give away their free will when they lack confidence in themselves so much that they ask others opinions on everything they do.

Everyone seeks validation from others, whether peers, close friends, or a significant other. However, we must realize that we risk benefiting from healthy lives when we commit these human fallacies.