6 Confessions Of An English Major

6 Confessions Of An English Major

I may not know everything, but I sure as hell know MLA format.
51

I feel like most of the time people have English Majors pretty much figured out. There are different types of English Majors but more of than not we are coffee addicted book nerds who will correct your grammar if necessary. Maybe none of these confessions will be a surprise to you, but here are six confessions of an English Major.

1. I feel at home in aesthetically pleasing coffee shops

I feel at peace when I find a nice coffee shop that matches my English Major aesthetic. This coffee shop does have to include good coffee because I usually need a good jolt of caffeine before I can even think about writing. You may be judging my insta for the plethora of latte photos, but those lattes and the coffee shops that make them are necessary for my survival.

2. I hate kindles

Give me a real book please. I bought one of the original kindles because the idea of being able to bring twelve books on vacation without actually having to pack twelve books in my suitcase seemed like English Major nirvana. While it was definitely convenient, I missed the feeling of holding a book and turning actual pages.

3. If you can’t speak proper English we can’t date

If you say “aint” in practically every sentence then we can’t date. I’m sorry. Along with this if you text me please use punctuation. If you ask me a question there better be a question mark at the end.

4. I haven’t read every single classic book

I feel like whenever people ask me if I’ve read a certain classic novel and I say no they are shocked. Do people honestly think that all English Majors have read every single classic book? We have likes and dislikes. For instance, I really am not a fan of John Steinbeck. I’ve read “Of Mice and Men” and “The Grapes of Wrath” thanks to high school reading requirements, but I don’t plan on reading any of his other works.

5. I will actually pass on a night out if I’m reading a good book

If I’m reading a good book don’t even bother asking me to go out that night because the answer will be no nine out of ten times.

6. I may not know everything, but I sure as hell know MLA format

I think I could format a paper in MLA format in my sleep at this point. The only problem with knowing MLA so well is that when I had to write a paper in another format for one of my general education classes I didn’t know what to do with myself.

So if you ever need to find me check all the coffee shops and bookstores because there is a high chance that’s where I’ll be. Also, I apologize in advance if I offend you when I correct your grammar even though I’m only trying to help you out.