6 Things Catholic School Kids Are Tired Of Hearing

All of those stereotypes and preconceived notions aren't true.

1225

According to the National Catholic Education Association at www.ncea.org, there are currently 1,915,836 students enrolled in Catholic schools here in the U.S. this year. That’s a small number compared to the over 300 million U.S. citizens, but we all know how people, especially other students feel about them. Most people have probably seen your classic all-American movie about snooty diabolical self-centered private school students, or when public school students have had to deal with those same elitist students. Sometimes we hear stories from others who have had run-ins with their peers who really do act and feel that way. Well for the most of us, we would like to say that we really aren’t that way. Because of those movies and those poor interactions creating stereotypes and preconceived notions, we have to work harder to combat that negative image. There are things we are tired of hearing.

1. Catholic school kids are stuck up.

There are a lot of movies that show private school kids sticking up their noses at those who aren’t part of their supposed elitist lifestyle. Others have had poor experiences with those kinds of people. Sorry about that. Most people who go to Catholic school are cool, down-to-earth, and chill. They don’t think they are better than anyone else.

2. They don’t know to have fun.

Just because we go to Catholic school and have to follow certain guidelines during school doesn’t mean we don’t know how to have fun and hang out when we aren’t in class. We are just like everyone else. Going to a private school doesn’t make us boring

3. They are huge partyers.

It’s one extreme or the other. We don’t all go crazy on the weekend and party until “we are gone”. There a some students who do choose to drink, just like at any other school. But you know, a lot of us would rather do something else with our free time.

4. We know you guys recruit.

Catholic schools do not recruit for sports. Besides it being illegal, most Catholic schools cannot afford to. The travel expenses and whatever they could possibly offer to help recruit is unnecessary spending, and the money often needs to be spent elsewhere.

5. You all are super rich.

This is untrue. Many families rely on financial aid to send their kids to Catholic school. According to the National Catholic Educational Association at www.ncea.org, "the average cost for an elementary school student per year is $5,847. So about 93.9% of elementary schools provide some form of tuition assistance. When it comes to tuition for just a freshman, the, “per pupil cost is $11,790.” So, “About 97% of secondary schools provide some form of tuition assistance.” Families rely on that assistance to provide their child(ren) the opportunity and still be able to live the best they can at home.

6. The negative connotation behind: “They are super religious."

What is wrong with being strong in your faith and practicing it every day? Yes sometimes it feels a little much with all of the religion classes, morning and afternoon prayer, church twice a week, faith based service projects, and more. At the same time though, it, in my opinion, has made me a better and happier person overall. It has made me into the person that I am today.

Don't believe all the falsies and gossip you hear about kids who go to private/Catholic schools. Most of the time, they aren't true.