6 Billboard Summer Top Hits And The Stories Behind Them

There is more to our music nowadays than just turning on the radio.

19
http://www.musictoyourhome.com/2015/07/08/summer-music-lessons-yes-please/

Oh the classic top hits of the summer, the distinct and catchy groups of songs we both love and hate at the same time. They are the songs we just love to sing along to when we are in the car by ourselves or, if talented enough, with a group of friends, until one day we all just have had enough. The songs that we can listen to over and over again without us all getting tired of are the ones who end of in the number one spot. These songs all have some interesting stories behind them that both make them so unique, catchy and creative.

1. " Stressed Out" by Twenty One Pilots

For those of us who are college age, this one is defiantly relatable, from the way it talks about student loans and reminiscing about childhood, we all in some way feel a personal connection to it, which is probably why it's a contender for the billboard summer song of the year award. Not only is this song relatable, but also in many ways unique, with it's rap verses mixed with pop and even some dubstep. Some people have even made the joke that this band created a new version of music with this song known as schizophrenic pop. There is one verse that doesn't make much sense and that is, "My name's Blurry Face, and I care what you think." "Blurry Face" is, in fact, the name of their last album and the lead singer added that line in to reveal to the audience that he sometimes still value what others think about him and his music

2. "Love Yourself" by Justin Bieber

This is one of those Justin Bieber songs that even those of us who don't like Justin Bieber much fall in love with, for it is relatable and has an interesting lesson about love. If you watch the music video, it starts with a quote. "Love isn't do this for me and I'm going to do this for you, love is I'm going to do this for you because I want to do this for you." This quote can lead some of us to believe that it's a lesson about love not keeping score. For those of us who listen in and think about our exes while doing so, our minds tend to change the lyrics of the song to "fuck yourself," which could have been what Justin Bieber or the song's cowriter Ed Sheeran really wanted to say. As for which ex the song could be about, it's hard to speculate. Some think it's about Selena Gomez probably because she is one of Justin Bieber's most famous exes, but it still hasn't been revealed. Others speculate it could be about one of Ed Sheeran's exes as well.

3. "Cake By The Ocean" by DNCE

People have been debating what this song actually means since it came out, but the music video in fact reveals it and in fact literally about eating cake by the ocean. One of the younger Jonas brothers, Joe, who is in the band, explained that he wanted the song to be about something much sexier than eating dessert on the beach, but they decided not to go as far as they wanted with it so the song would be able to go on top hit radio. Probably the same reason why the lyrics to Justin Bieber's "Love Yourself" are the way they are. If you replace the lyrics "cake by the ocean" with sex by the ocean, the song indeed makes more sense, but hey, who wouldn't love to eat cake by the ocean too. The music video features people dancing around a giant cake next to the ocean, making the meaning of the songs lyrics seem a lot more literal

4. "7 Years" by Lukas Graham

"7 Years" is one of those songs that just tugs at all of our heartstrings whether it's the somber tone it gives off or nostalgic lyrics, this song will get everyone feeling something for it sings about being almost every age group. It starts off with the singer talking about some of the things his parents used to tell him about love and friendship as a kid and progresses with him getting older and figuring the world out for himself. Lukas Graham says this is a song about what they hope to achieve in his future. One of their biggest fears was growing up to be negative old people, so their goal is to be one people look up to and to be awesome fathers. The reason why the song only goes as old as 60 was because the lead singer's father only lived to be 61.

5. "Piece By Piece" by Kelly Clarkson

Some might call Kelly Clarkson's song "Piece by Piece" one of the most personal songs she has ever written, and some critics might say that her song is, in some ways, too personal. The song starts off with her talking about how her father abandoned her when she was 6 years old, then goes into how her husband picked up all the broken pieces left behind. Since the release of her single, "Because of You," fans knew that Kelly Clarkson had a rough and complicated relationship with her father, but this song gives audiences a more complete story of what happened in her life to make this happen. Kelly Clarkson says she has tried to salvage her relationship with her father, but it has never worked out. She says seeing her husband with her own daughter and how good of a father he is inspired her to write this song.

6. "Lost Boy" by Ruth B

Growing up and reminiscing about childhood seems to be the theme for most of our top hit songs and this could be because its something that everyone can relate to, similar to why love songs are usually hits as well. What makes this song even more unique is the little amount of editing that went into it, it's just Ruth singing while playing a piano and in the hot 100 list, there is no song like it. Ruth says she was just playing around with words and melodies when she originally wrote the song but she did in fact want the song to have a message. The message is that we all have our own Peter Pan realities we like to escape into when we feel lost; hers she says is music.