6 Bands I'm Excited To See On Warped Tour

You'd think at age 19 I'd be over Warped Tour by now.

37
Vans Warped Tour

Ahhh, Warped Tour. The country's traveling music festival that every former scene kid went to. The official Warped Tour 2017 lineup was released this week with mixed reviews. I've been going to Warped every year since 2012, when I was 14. It's an annual emo tradition for my friends and i and this year is no different. While the 2017 lineup isn't my favorite, these are six bands I'm really excited to see this summer.

1. Courage My Love

This Canadian trio has become one of my new favorites recently. Their most recent album "Synesthesia" came out in February, which I reviewed here. Starting out with pop punk roots sounding a bit like old Paramore, their newest album has taken a poppier twist and they're really developing their own sound. Since I just started to listen to Courage My Love, I've never seen them before and I'm really excited to see what their live show is all about.

2. Jule Vera

This pop-rock band from Alabama has been one of my favorites for about a year and a half. They played Warped Tour 2015 and I'm bummed I hadn't heard of them then but I did get to see them open for Against The Current in November 2015 and I fell in love. Everyone in the band is super young and Ansley's voice is incredible. They're much more on the pop side of the Warped spectrum, but I'm glad Warped founder Kevin Lyman added them back again this year despite all the heavy bands on this year's tour. They released their debut EP "Friendly Enemies" in 2015 and their debut full-length album should be out this year. I'm really excited to see what's next for Jule Vera.

3. Hands Like Houses

I've been listening to these guys since 2012 when they were that random band that opened up for Pierce The Veil. Now they're on main stage at Warped Tour. HLH have gone so far in the past few years and I couldn't be more excited to see them again. Their newest album "Dissonants" is by far the best music they've ever released and I can't wait to hear some of it live again. I talked about this album in my favorite albums of 2016 article (shameless self-promo). I've always loved this band because they can fit in the "post-hardcore" genre without screaming vocals and breakdowns.

4. New Years Day

New Years Day have been around forever. I believe their first Warped Tour was back in 2007. One of the heavier bands with a female singer, New Years Day have always intrigued me but I never took the time to listen to their music until last year. I finally got to see them open for Crown The Empire last fall but I'm really excited to see them play another set and possibly meet them.

5. Too Close To Touch

Also mentioned in my favorite albums of 2016, Too Close To Touch are back on Warped Tour for their second year in a row. Similar to Hands Like Houses, they have a post-hardcore feel but with minimal unclean/screaming vocals which appeals to me. Their lyrics are also absolutely incredible. I saw them open for Crown The Empire last fall, along with New Years Day and I also saw them a few weeks ago on their first headlining tour. They put on a great show and I can't wait to see them again.

6. Our Last Night

Our Last Night have been around since 2004 and I started listening to them in 2014 when they were touring with one of my favorite bands, Set It Off. They're from New Hampshire so the Boston date of that tour was actually their 10 year anniversary show, which was an interesting experience for someone who didn't know the band that much. I've heard a few of their albums, and their newest, "Younger Dreams" is definitely my favorite. They remind me a little bit of A Day To Remember with a pop punk feel but they add some heavier elements here and there. I saw OLN again last November at a headline tour with Hands Like Houses and their shows are absolutely insane. I'm excited to see what a Warped Tour set holds for them.

So those are the bands I'm excited for this Warped Tour. Even though it's super fun to see your favorite bands, Warped Tour is also a great time to check out some new bands. I've found a ton of my favorite bands this way, so check out the lineup and see what intrigues you. What bands are you excited for this summer?