500 Words On Why Weddings Are A Ripoff

500 Words On Why Weddings Are A Ripoff

Words from the Experienced.

118
500 Words On Why Weddings Are A Ripoff
Photo by Burt Green Photographs

Getting married was one of the happiest days of my life, although it was more stressful than any other event that I have ever had to take part of. Weddings have a habit of creating overly romanticized ideas and setting unrealistic expectations for how things usually end up turning out. Hear me out, because this isn't an article about how marriages are set to fail... (they only fail if you let them).

When you first get engaged, your mind races and your imagination takes off to a land where Pinterest has ideas that actually work for regular humans, and your mother doesn't go insane trying to take over planning things. You imagine how easily you can pick out everything, because why would the flavor of the cupcakes cause a fight? Right?

Wrong.

Now obviously, not every couple is the same, but for most of us normal people, weddings drain both your wallet and your will to ever look at a catering menu again. Between comparing prices, going to look at venues, tasting cake and entree samples, and trying to decide which shade of blue would look the least tacky, you will eventually give up on ever being able to decide on something. Then comes the frustration that comes with planning your honeymoon trip, along with applying for your passport (if you don't already have one).

Some people want a big, flashy wedding, and others only have a formal ceremony for their families' sakes. Some people, the smarter ones, decide to skip all of the drama and financial ruin and elope. There are some realities that we should all be prepared to face; most of the things that you find online are either going to be wildly out of your price range or unimaginable hard to make yourself, you more-than-likely won't be able to find the exact dress that you think you want, votive candles cost a lot more when you need 200 of them, and the floral industry is a racket.

It's all fun and games until you realize that you have to decide on all of these things with your soon-to-be spouse. Always remember that it is their day too, and if they care enough about it to argue with you, they deserve to have their way too... or at least meet in the middle. To the few lucky people who have a partner who doesn't care about stuff like that, I have nothing to say to you (insert another snide remark). To the rest of you, the best thing that you can do is keep the finish line in sight: you are going to marry your best friend, the parent of your children or future children, and the person with whom you will spend the rest of your life.