500 Words On Being A Sapulpa Chieftain

500 Words On Being A Sapulpa Chieftain

Once a Chieftain, Always a Chieftain

40
500 Words On Being A Sapulpa Chieftain
Lori Roberts

Every hometown is unique in it’s own way, whether it be large or small. The ‘not so small’ town of Sapulpa, Oklahoma is the one to grow up in. There are always familiar faces and running into someone you know is always going to happen at Walmart or Quiktrip. Town gossip is a real thing, and everyone is always in the loop somehow.

If you grew up in, or even just transferred to Sapulpa, you know that we take our school pride seriously. From elementary school mascots, to finally becoming Chieftain, it begins to become more surreal. If your family is from Sapulpa, it is almost certain that you all have attended the same school and if you’re lucky, you and your parents might have shared the same teacher. The faculty and staff at the schools don’t come and go so quickly and it makes it easier to be personable whenever your family is known in the town. There are shops and restaurants you can go to that are always proud supporters of the Chieftains. All the shops sell the sports tee’s that are too irresistible not to buy. Even if you did not attend Sapulpa, you can bet you own a Chieftain blue shirt. If you did attend, it’s almost possible you have too many to count.

On fridays, it is known that everyone will be out at Collins Stadium, watching the boys take on another team. The fight song, played by the band, can be heard from every street corner. The student section is filled with screams and laughter, and the pride of Sapulpa just fills the town. Win or lose, the town handles it together and most people even travel to different cities with the team. It doesn’t just stop at friday nights lights, if you haven't been to a basketball game in the Chieftain center then you are missing out.

Living in Sapulpa, it is not just the school spirit that you gain, it is the family town that comes together as one. The town isn’t just involved in friday night lights, it is also involved with tragedy. One may say that Sapulpa can’t handle any more tragedy, but if they do, everyone copes together. There isn’t a time that someone will fall alone. Whether it be a town death, a member fighting cancer, a member hospitalized, or just being sick, the town will always step in to lift each other in prayer. There isn’t a time that there is not a helping hand, wanting to be there to catch you if you fall.

‘Once a Chieftain, Always a Chieftain’ stays true through every circumstance. Sapulpa is the town that holds many memories, molds families and friendships, and a place to call home. There’s not many times when someone leaves and says that they aren’t proud to be a Chieftain. You might say that you hate it at times, but truth is, you’ll always look back and have a strong love for this town.

I’m proud to be a chieftain!