500 Words on Pit Bulls and Breed Specific Legislation

No dog deserves a death sentence.

26
Sally Wehner

Let’s talk about dogs. There are countless blog posts, snapchats and articles — even several posted on the Odyssey — about how great dogs are, how much we love them and how they should be allowed on every college campus.

So yeah. You love dogs, and so does everyone else. There's so many breeds that, in terms of temperament, there's really something for almost anyone who is willing to put in the work of training a dog.

But did you know that there are currently 28 states that enforce what is known as Breed Specific Legislation?

According to the Breed Specific Legislation (BSL) Census, a database of breed specific legislation throughout the United States and Canada, this kind of law “bans or restricts certain types of dog based on appearance because they are perceived as dangerous breeds.”

While this legislation commonly targets several breeds (including American Bulldogs, Chow Chows, Rottweilers and even German Shepherds), the pit bull specifically stands out as a violent breed in the collective American psyche.

We, as a whole, have a fear of pit bulls. This isn’t necessarily unfounded. They are unfortunately used in dog fighting, which is a felony in all 50 states (pit bulls in dog fighting gained high profile after Michael Vick’s 2007 trial for dog fighting and animal cruelty) and have been the perpetrators of several dog attacks.

Part of the reason as to why so many pit bulls have behaved in this way is because they, according to the ASPCA, were originally bred to bite and hold large animals in the face and head. It’s important to note, however, that several dogs have since been bred out of their original breeding purposes. Again, the ASPCA uses the example of the golden retriever; originally bred for retrieving birds, are commonly trained as service dogs today.

Some dogs are more likely to have certain traits than others, and yes, one of those traits may be violence. As the ASPCA said in their statement on pit bulls:

“Pointers are more likely than Poodles to point, and sheepdogs are more likely than lapdogs to herd. However, while a dog’s genetics may predispose it to perform certain behaviors, tremendous behavioral variation exists among individuals of the same breed or breed type.”

(Side note: I HIGHLY recommend that you read the entire statement here. It is a nearly comprehensive picture of pit bull temperament. Although I can’t include the entire thing here, it’s well worth the read.)

Given that some breeds are more predisposed to violent behavior than others, the most important thing to remember is that it all comes down to the individual dog. Usually, if there is a behavioral problem with a dog, it is due to how it was raised. President Obama agrees. In a 2013 statement, he said that the administration did not support BSL, and reinforced the idea that “the simple fact is that dogs of any breed can become dangerous when they’re intentionally or unintentionally raised to be aggressive.”

This is exactly why BSL is not a fair form of legislation. It is largely inefficient, as many counties, such as Miami-Dade, allow for "exceptions" for specific breeds that result in people skirting around these laws for malicious purposes; and as President Obama said in his address, "as an alternative to breed-specific policies, the CDC recommends a community-based approach to prevent dog bites."

Not to mention that BSL results in the targeting of specific breeds, regardless of an individual dog’s character. Not all pit bulls are ruthless or aggressive, in the same way that not all labradors are friendly to strangers.

When dealing with dogs, it’s important to treat them with caution, regardless of what breed it is. Don’t approach a dog you don’t know, and always ask before petting someone else’s dog. If you have a dog of your own, make sure you treat it well. Train it and discipline it, and above all show it love. Consider spaying or neutering your pets, to avoid accidentally breeding puppies with undesirable traits (such as a predisposition for aggression). This also reduces the number of dogs forced into shelters (and by the way, while 63% of dogs euthanized in shelters are pit bulls, only 38% of dogs admitted into shelters are of the same breed).

When it comes to BSL and dog safety, be informed, be aware and be active. Who knows? You might save a human or a canine life.