Why I Run

Why I Run

It's a love/hate relationship, but I couldn't live without it.

21
Why I Run
Fitness Magazine

Like popular opinion, I used to hate running. I used to play soccer and volleyball and our punishment was always-- you guessed it-- running. Which I believe automatically associates running with something bad and terrible at a young age (but that’s a whole other article). However, around my sophomore year of high school I started running… and I’ve never turned back.

Most people force themselves to run in order to stay in shape and lose weight. And although I too force myself to run for these reasons, it’s much, much more than that for me. Throughout my short running career, I have slowly learned that running is just as much for the mind as it is body. I run because it makes me a stronger person. Mentally, emotionally, spiritually, and physically, it strengthens me more than any other activity does. It strengthens my mental toughness and it strengthens my confidence in myself in just a few short miles. It strengthens my faith in God for He has given me the ability to run. And most obviously, it strengthens my body, head to toe.

I run because it challenges me. I once read a quote that states, “If it excites and scares the crap out of you at the same time, it probably means you should do it.” And nothing is more accurate!! Every time I put one of my pairs of running shoes, a new adventure is ahead of me. And it’s unpredictable, terrifying, yet thrilling at the same time. I rarely know where my feet will take me, how far they’ll go, or how fast they’ll take me. I rarely know how tough my mind is going to be, or how much pain I’ll be in. Against widespread belief, even though I am a “runner” no run is easy for me. No matter how short the distance or how slow I go, every run is an individual challenge that I attempt to conquer. Running tests, the boundaries and limits that my mind has set for me. The goal—to blow those out of the water; I am more capable than I ever thought I could be.

I run because it truly makes me happy. A run has the ability to turn my day around. It causes my endorphins to go crazy. (A runner’s high is certainly a thing.) No matter the duration of the run, I end up happier than before I started. I have never to this day, regretted a run. It is a time for me to get rid of all my anger, frustration, self loath, and stress. It is a small portion of the day that I set aside simply to better myself. It is the portion of my day that I enjoy the most because I let go of everything that is weighing me down. My mind stops and solely focuses on the task at hand-- to run with everything I’ve got. It keeps me sane. It helps me sleep at night. It makes me happy.

Lastly, and most importantly, I run because I can. I think sometimes we take the simplest things for granted. Not everyone can run. Of course I run for myself, but I also run for each and every person who cannot. They inspire me. Let them inspire you too.