5 Wedding Trends Millennials Are Committing To

Sometimes, change is for the best.

328
unsplash.com

On September 30th, 2017, my big sister dressed in a beautiful white gown and walked down the aisle to marry the love of her life, and my now brother-in-law. Considering myself a hopeless romantic for much of my life, it was almost impossible to hold back tears for how beautiful she looked and how amazing their ceremony was. The day was perfect. Perfect venue, perfect weather, perfect dress, and of course, the perfect couple.

Upon arriving back to school after what felt like a fantasy-filled weekend, I began thinking about some aspects of her wedding that weren’t as traditional as I have come to learn from the countless movies I have seen. Better yet, I determined that the way she and her fiancé did their wedding was perfect.

Although weddings have been long-standing traditions with practices that many of us are familiar with, here are the 5 ways that weddings have changed from those prior principles, and perhaps for the better.

1. You don’t have to get married in a church

Perhaps the most central aspect of the traditional wedding: being married in a church or chapel. Personally, this is the way I have always envisioned my wedding day, but it’s not the only way. While it might be traditional, the interior of a glamorous ballroom or outdoor country club can make the event just as special.

2. Your ceremony and reception can be held at the same place

How incredibly convenient would it be if you didn’t have to worry about driving or calling an Uber to get from the ceremony to the reception? Let’s be honest, extremely convenient... for everyone! It’s not just the aspect of drinking and driving to factor in, but also the extra cost of getting shuttle buses and ensuring that the elderly attendees of the event are able to get on and off with ease.

3. You don’t have to wait for the groom to see you

Okay, maybe I’m partial to the whole “first look” concept because I had the honor of seeing it first-hand, but let me tell you, it was incredible. To try and set aside time after the ceremony to go and take pictures for an hour is just too logistically demanding. You don’t want to feel stressed or overwhelmed, and generally, the flurry of trying to cram it all in is an overload for your brain. Trust me when I say, even with the first look, the look on the groom’s face when the bride walks down the aisle is just as special.

4. Don’t do a receiving line, but do say hello to everyone

Receiving lines are traditional because it gives the bride and groom the chance to personally thank each guest that they have invited to share in their special day. However, similar to the first look, the receiving line takes a great deal of time out of the day and can be a pre-stressor for both the bride and the groom. Instead, it’s become more common to wait until the reception and make rounds to every table. This way, you can acknowledge and thank everyone for coming, but on your own time and in a way that is more relaxed for the newlyweds.

5. Anyone can be an officiant

Typically, a priest or a minister is found to be in the role of the officiant, but over time it has become customary to have close friends or family do this instead. They are able to become ordained online, and the best part is that they personally know and have a relationship with the bride and the groom, which makes the ceremony even more intimate.

Weddings will always be a tradition, but that doesn’t mean that various wedding practices won’t change. While the dress may always remain white, and the “I do’s” will not cease to seal the deal, small logistical things are able to be changed to make your wedding day as special as you have always dreamed.

Congratulations to my big sister, Ashleigh Stoddart, and new brother-in-law, Ben McBratney! Your wedding was one for the books.