5 Ways Millennials Should Reclaim Their Twenties

Our twenties aren't always so cut and dry but when they are, we grab them by the balls and make it ours.

1466
Flickr

Our twenties can quickly become a cycle of fast-moving motions rather than moments in which we indulge in.

I can't speak for the generations that came before me but I feel like this momentous time in our lives has become a chore, to say the least, and before we know it, we won't just be starting our twenties but looking back at the time we have now years down the line and wish we could've done a lot of other things differently.

Now that's what we don't want but what we do want is this: to be able to reclaim our roaring twenties by the balls and make it ours again.

1. Feeling like a complete outsider because everyone around us is ~soooo~ over going out.

I honestly have been feeling this first one pretty drastically these past few weeks. Not to say that it's neither a good or bad thing but the fact that the majority of my friends and family are past the point of no return with the concept of going out and partying doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad thing. Just because for some odd reason I'm just getting started, this shouldn't make me feel discouraged to keep feeling like this until I'm ready to.

2. Being under the impression that our twenties are a time to pass necessary milestones.

I thought I would've already been married and pregnant with my first child and in medical school by the time I was 22 and I am quite literally the furthest away from that point. Certain stepping stones like getting engaged, have babies, be on our way to our fourth job interview of the week - these are all "milestones" that some random guy in a business major during his undergrad career made up to scare future millennials. There's no set pace to accomplish anything during this time of our life (or any other time in our lives).

3. The belief that there will, in fact, be a time in which we won't be stuck in this rut.

Contrary to popular belief, whatever rut or funk we find ourselves in, it won't be forever. Now that's not to say that we'll one day never feel like this again but the burden of our funks in our twenties won't be half as bad after we've gracefully moved past our early to mid-twenties.

4. No more 'what ifs' or 'maybes'.

To go by the 'yes man' rule is something we should all learn to delve deeper into and once we do, it'll become a lot easier to take more chances in both a social and professional setting.

5. Learning that a positive mindset equates to an overall positive life.

Letting go of the negatives around you will lighten your workload by an estimated 1000%. I know this to be true because literally as soon as I cut the cord on a select number of people, stopped taking things sitting down and learned to get my head in the game before I helped anyone else with theirs, I found myself not in a completely different life but a completely different work ethic and a much better head on my shoulders.

Yes, although our twenties are full of challenges and disheartening hurdles we hardly ever think we'll make it through, what we do have is the certainty that whatever comes next will be better than whatever it is we're going through now.